Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those of you who use charm packs, >

For those of you who use charm packs,

For those of you who use charm packs,

Old 10-29-2013, 05:14 AM

I buy 4 charm packs at a time, unless I'm absolutely in love with the design, and have always had plenty to do a full size quilt. That said, who told you that you couldn't add to your stash? You can never have too much fabric, a very nice lady at Missouri Star Quilt told me that. Charm packs are a good investment as they can be used in so many different ways and in so many different projects. I just purchased 4 of Moda's Contempo which is red and black and is going to be a quilt for my son, there will be leftovers so probably a throw pillow too.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I pre-wash charm packs and other smaller fabric stash in lingerie bags. Many do not pre-wash charm packs. But the lingerie bags are great for the smaller pieces. Just FYI!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:21 AM

I have started cutting all my smaller leftovers into 5" squares and 2 1/2" strips because they work into so many patterns that have developed using precuts. Any smaller pieces than that are cut into 2" squares because a long time ago I started collecting those and have a quilt planned to use LOTS of them. (I think 2 1/2" squares would have been a better plan, but I need to use these first.) The rest go in a basket for crumb quilts. It's a very neat way to store fabric scraps and they are already precut to add to any precuts I purchase for projects. No digging through bins of stuff. You may find you can buy a couple of charm packs and jelly rolls and then add to them from your own scraps.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:16 AM

I go to connecting threads and get the ones on sell I can't see paying that price close outs at ct you can buy 2 or 3 for the price of other places.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:28 AM

I love charm packs, they are like a bowl of candy to me, so colorful and bright. There are many patterns out there that you can use to make quilts and I always end up adding fabric from my stash to make larger quilts.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 AM

Just a word of caution. My experience with pre cuts has shown me that they are not always cut perfectly. I have had some that were not square and some off by 1/8" of an inch. That can cause a problem when piecing.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Try the Speedy Baby II pattern. It is 45" square with lots of possibilities. I use the center 16 1/2" to embroider something or personalize the quilt. It is quick! The measurements are listed for cutting all of it at once. I buy 60" muslin and cut king size batting into 4 pieces.
This is my favorite pattern!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156 View Post
Charm packs are 5" squares? Ive never used them before. Where would I buy them the cheapest can someone tell me? I would really really like some but I live on less then $500 a month so the best price would be great. Thanks
Connecting threads has good buys, but it takes two of theirs to make one from other places with 40+ peices, but still cheap if you find what you like.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 AM

I buy charm packs. Recently I bought a few mini-charm packs (2.5" squares). I'm going to make a double Irish chain, and the 2.5" size is really nice for that. Already cut and matched -- just need to get the coordinating yardage.

I get my packs and jelly rolls from Green Fairy Quilts: http://greenfairyquilts.com/ Good prices and incredibly fast delivery services.

Oh... and free shipping in the US, too. Every dollar saved is just that much more for fabric...
Old 10-29-2013, 12:08 PM

To get an idea of quilts you can make, you should look at the Missouri Star Quilt tutorials. I have found them very helpful.
As to their site format, at least you can see the collection by clicking on the pack. Some sites only have the pack with the top color/print and you can't see anything else.
I've made 2 baby quilt tops with 1 charm pack and a jelly roll (the falling charm tut on MSQ) and it went together
fairly quickly.