Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those of you who use Kona... >

For those of you who use Kona...

For those of you who use Kona...

Old 10-05-2015, 04:12 AM

I love my Kona color card. You can get them through Hancocks of Paducah.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:57 AM

I needed to match a cream color and did not remember the color name. I sent a sample of MY fabric to Hancock's of Peducah and they did the matching for me. They even sent my sample (about 2" x 3") back with the order. That is wonderful customer service!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:31 AM

Even if you were able to get the exact fabric it probably wouldn't match due to possibly being washed or just fading. Get as close as you can; I'm sure they don't expect it to be exact - or at least I'd hope not. Reminds me I have a patch job to do too.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
Can you give me the name of a bright primary red shade....I can't trust my monitor to be correct....don't want orangey reds or pinky reds.....just red!
In my opinion, the Red is pinky and the Tomato is on the orange side. I would choose Cardinal but it might be a little dark red for you.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:42 AM

I like the red for a basic color red. I don't think that it is pinky. Others are too dark for me.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:46 AM

Thanks everyone for your help! If I had more time, I would order the sample card, but I really need to get this started.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marymay View Post
Here is what I did. I took a little of my fabric and sent this to Fabric.com (because I bought my fabric from this) to make sure that I was buying the same fabric. This matched it perfect. Here is what the told me. Every bolt of fabric can be a little different. So when you buy you have to look at the bottom of bolt to make sure it comes from the same dye lot. Thank God my did.
This has been my experience with Kona. But my purchases were many years ago, so that may be different now.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:42 AM

Here is a block I recently made using Kona Lipstick, very bright red, no orange or pink tone. Also, no grey or black to darken. To me it seems about as close to primary red that you can get - http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...2_195342-1.jpg

https://secure.missouriquiltco.com/s...pstick-yardage

If you're in a rush, honestly, I would just order a half yard of a couple shades, pick the best match, stash the rest, and then order the rest of the quantity you'll need. At least a half yard will be enough to get started while waiting for the rest. Also, generally MSCQ is super fast on ordering and if you put your order in usually it ships same day and will be delivered within 2 days. Might not be the most cost efficient way, but if you're in a rush to get started, it might work, oh, and get the color card either way. If it so happens none of the shades you try work, it will save you another few days of waiting for a shipment.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:48 AM

For me, MSQC is one of the slower shippers. It usually takes a full week or more after ordering before I get a shipping notice.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:01 AM

Interesting, I was thinking the same thing about Hancock's of Paducah... I guess it depends. I almost always get a same day shipping notice. You'd think yours would be quicker since you're closer...