Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thoughts about Berninas >

Thoughts about Berninas

Thoughts about Berninas

Old 03-25-2023, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by pennyhal2 View Post
I own several Bernina sewing machines and have been very satisfied making quilts with them. However, if the circuit board fails, you may just have to throw the machine out depending on how old it is. My local shop could not repair them. I've put 1 in the dumpster...yes, it was old and very well used. I keep a mechanical machine for such events. I think this is called "planned obsolescence" that they do now so that things will fail over a planned life span so that you have to buy a new one. I think it is called "American Greed."
Sorry that you have been frustrated with the ability to get repairs on older Berninas. I imagine the same applies to anything with a circuit board. I am certainly not using any computer or phone or automobile that is older than my Bernina 1090. The choice seems to be to stick with mechanical only with fewer “features” or embrace the computer with more “features” knowing that today’s computers will be made obsolete by ones available in the future.

In any event, the Q series Ashley is interested in was only introduced in 2015 and is likely to be fully supported by Bernina for many years. In shopping for a sit-down long arm, I’m not sure there is an option from any brand that is mechanical only (maybe an older industrial model?).

I also believe that Bernina probably supports its older models as well as any brand out there. For example, I can purchase a ruler foot for my Bernina 1090, which isn’t an option for my mechanical Elna Lotus.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:49 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful advice. I tried out the other brands, comparing their features with the Bernina 16Q Plus. Ended up with the 16Q Plus for the sale price of the 16Q! Also, went with the Bernette 77 for added decorative stitches...Don't call me today-I'll be busy playing in my studio!
Old 03-26-2023, 06:31 AM

Congrats on the new toys and have fun playing!

Rob
Old 03-26-2023, 08:37 AM

Have a wonderful time!
Old 03-31-2023, 03:54 AM

Enjoy your machine! Hubby found me an older used Aurora 430, but when we got it home, we found out the computer board was bad. I hated to spend money on the fix, but $900 later, it sews like a dream! Then hubby bought me the Q16, and I really enjoy it! I do prefer the older mechanical machines, especially hand cranks and treadles. Those really old machines will be sewing 200 years from now with just a little oil.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:11 AM

How fun! I can hardly wait to see what you create with your new machines!
Old 04-02-2023, 06:44 AM

Phew! There is a learning curve to FMQ. This is my first masterpiece sampler. I'm saving it to look back upon when I get better. Thanks for all of the thoughts and ideas!
Attached Thumbnails first-attempt-fmq.jpg  
Old 04-02-2023, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Phew! There is a learning curve to FMQ. This is my first masterpiece sampler. I'm saving it to look back upon when I get better. Thanks for all of the thoughts and ideas!
FMQ is a practice practice practice thing. I took Free Motion Mastery in a Month towards the end of the pandemic. She has you do one square every day. It really improved my FMQ. She has some exercises that are helpful, but I think it was mostly the daily repetition.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:34 PM

aashley333- your first masterpiece looks great. Keep at it!

Rob
Old 04-02-2023, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

aashley- yeah!!! You're doing great!