Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thoughts and experiences with raw edge applique..... >

Thoughts and experiences with raw edge applique.....

Thoughts and experiences with raw edge applique.....

Old 11-12-2014, 03:42 PM

What do use to fuse with? Does it make the quilt stiff? Is there a fusible out there that is soft and flexible after it is applied?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:02 PM

I made the bom from last year on The Quilt Show designed by Sue Nichols and her sister Pat Holly. It had lots of raw edged applique which was fused down then the blanket stitch used around all the edges. Sue said she has never had a problem with fraying. I washed the quilt: no fraying of course has been washed only once. Used steam a seam light using the edge technique which only has the fusing around the edges.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
I made the bom from last year on The Quilt Show designed by Sue Nichols and her sister Pat Holly. It had lots of raw edged applique which was fused down then the blanket stitch used around all the edges. Sue said she has never had a problem with fraying. I washed the quilt: no fraying of course has been washed only once. Used steam a seam light using the edge technique which only has the fusing around the edges.
I've washed mine numerous times and never had fraying. I encourage anyone to try this. It is really fun.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Power Poster

When I use iron-on applique, I decide which look I want. If it is casual, I do a straight stitch about 1/16 - 1//8" off the edge. If I want to "hide" the stitches I use either monofilament thread OR matching color with a zig-zag. I just did one where the size of the zig-zag was 1.5x1.4 and it sure makes the stithes blend. When I want to showcase the stitches I use the blanket stitch and take my time. 2.5x2.5 is the smallest stitch I do with the blanket stitch. Usually I go to 3.5x2.5 or so. All of those options hold up well. Only the straight stitch option give a bit of a raveled edge.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:52 AM

almost all of my quilts are raw edge parrots. I have sold many of them & have never had a complaint. I am not sure what the stitch is called, but I call it a 3 step xig zag. I believe it is for elastic...lol!
I make sure things are lined up so that I have a full stitch down, a full stitch up (which is hitting the edge of the bird) then a full stitch up. I stitch in the same color as the pieces I am working with. You'll have to adjust your machine's settings until you get the desired length/width but I think it looks more "invisible" compared to a bulky looking regular zig zag. I do use a fusable on bigger pieces like the one I just finished for a customer as the birds are life size, about 34" long. I'll post a pic in the picture section. I do not fuse the quilts with multiple birds as they are only 10" squares.