Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thoughts on a pattern ! >

thoughts on a pattern !

thoughts on a pattern !

Old 04-16-2016, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
My friend made a quilt with similar fabrics called Heartstrings by Evelyn Sloppy. There is a free pattern download on Martingale/ThatPatchworkPlace. It is made up of heart shaped log cabin blocks. So cute! She made hers with only the heart blocks. The pattern shows more log cabin designs. One in the center and around the border. It is pretty either way. Hope you take a look. It seems to go with the fabric, IMHO. You do have to sign in to get the free downloads but I think they are a reputable company.
Thanks, love the pattern. Love 30's fabric for baby quilts - usually leave out pink when not sure of gender. Just me - always looks girly with pink to me.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:38 AM

Here's a cute baby chevron pattern that looks quick and easy. http://www.kitchentablequilting.com/...-tutorial.html
Old 04-16-2016, 12:36 PM

You can make a chevron using 1/2 square triangles, too. It is really easy. What I do is cut a strip of the main fabric(s) in whatever size you choose to make the chevrons. Then cut an equally sized strip of the white.

Put the two strips good side to good side, and sew 1/4 inch seams the length of the strip on both sides. You wind up with a tube.

Cut the sdwn together strips at intervals that are equal to the length of the tube. So if your strips are 5" long and forty inches wide (excluding selvage) you will get 8 squares. If your tube is 10 long and 40 inches wide, you will get 4 10" squares out of the tube.

Take each square and sew the open ends together. Now each of your squares is sewn closed on 4 sides.

Take your ruler and put it on the square and very carefully cut it on the diagonals, corner to corner, like you are making an "X".

You have 4 quarter square triangles and did not sew on the bias. Arrange them for the chevron. Here are two that I have done. I only use two fabrics for the chevron, but you could use more than that, if you want. This technique can also be used for hourglass and pinwheel blocks, etc.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t252879.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t260723.html