Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thoughts on stippling

Thoughts on stippling

I was trained as a draftsperson in the pre CAD era, and to me stippling is tiny individual dots used to make shading in a drawing. And then I learned that when you start and stop fmq you kind of hover in place to make a knot. So, of course I wondered if anyone had ever heard of machine quilting done with little dots like that? Or it could be a little rectangle like the end of a button hole. It would work like a tied quilt. What do you think about this idea?

It would look nice and be unique, but there would be tons of thread tails to bury with all those stops and starts.

I haven't made a whole quilt that way, but I have used little tacks like that on smaller quilted items. I've also used one iteration of some of the decorator stitches on my machine in the same way. I had the same thought, that it would work like a tied quilt, just a different kind of tie. Some of the items I've washed many, many times (pet beds), and they've held up. I didn't bury the ends, I just cut them off, but that's up to you.

I've also put tacks in the middle of large squares when quilting with SITD (if I want to quilt no more than 4 inches apart and one of the squares is 6 inches, for example).

Blog Entries
    Yes, you can use stitches instead of tying. I know some folks use bar tacks (looks like the end of the button hole). Some machines have fancy satin type stitches, such as squares, triangles or circles that are joined with straight stitching. You can do a single iteration of that stitch. My machine will let me program the one off, so it makes it easy. My machine also has a fix stitch, so I did a fix, circle, fix then just clipped the thread. It was for a small purse.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have sewed small hearts instead of tying. I just clipped threads afterwards.

some of the first quilts i made for my two grands were mostly faux fur front with minkey backs. because of 3-D applique used, i decided to machine tack instead of quilting. i just made randomly placed small circles, frestyle, twice in each spot. held fine, no threads to hide, cute little "bubbles" seen from the back. still fave quilts and holding up perfectly with no tearing out at sites of machine tacks.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    I have sewed small hearts instead of tying. I just clipped threads afterwards.
    great idea!! would be so cute! i'll remember that. oldest one is girly ..she'd like the hearts, youngest one is tomboy like me & wouldn't even notice the hearts
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I did these "sticks" on the white sashing where I had planned to do a meander because I thought they were more in keeping with the theme of this quilt. Not sure if this is what you mean exactly.
    Name:  stixclosesmall.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  323.7 KB
    Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    I did these "sticks" on the white sashing where I had planned to do a meander because I thought they were more in keeping with the theme of this quilt. Not sure if this is what you mean exactly.

Watson
    Not exactly, but that is a cool idea to put in the file!

Blog Entries
    I have free motioned spirals about 1 inch in diameter in place of tying & like how it looks.

I machined tacked a quilt years ago. It did take longer and I never did it again. I assume it is still holding.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Watson....that quilting looks way cool. Very creative.

I made a patchwork cover for my vanity bench and quilted SITD at the corner of piecing. the stitching was just maybe 1/4" length on each angle of the corner. I did this thru-out cover at various places. it has not shifted even with my rear-end squirming around on it daily.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I have also done that and liked the result.

I just finished one for my sister. 60th Birthday. I didnít want lots of quilting so where the 4 patches met I did embroidery. Some were her initials. Some were ď60Ē. Some were butterflies, flowers. Just a mix of stuff. Flannel Front and minkee back. You really canít tell what they all are but I know of all the love and symbolism that went in to it!!! Went decently fast. I am very happy with the results!!!

From one board drafter to another. What we called stippling in art is pin dotting. In quilting stippling is a meandering wiggling line that does not cross itself. Did it by hand once. Never again, now I do it by machine. Really small pebbles or scribbling will get closer to what you are thinking about. Check out Cindy Needhams site for some good examples. Good luck.