Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A thread about thread >

A thread about thread

A thread about thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 AM

Default A thread about thread

Hello, hope you can help or at least provide some insight into "thread weights". I want to use a thicker thread to quilt my argyle quilt (it is still on the design wall, so no rush). I want the criss cross effect of the argyle pattern to stand out. I already use a 35wt for quilting and piecing. What weight should I use for this "emphatic-stand out-almost hand quilting" look.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:23 AM

Check the Superior Threads website -- they have all kinds of information about thread!
Old 06-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

http://www.superiorthreads.com/reference-guides/
Old 06-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

35wt is awfully thick for accurate piecing! I can understand using it for quilting, but is there some specific reason why you use such a thick thread for piecing?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Big stitch quilting is often done with Perle cotton. You can find it in really thick (#3 or #5) or get some in #8 or #12. All are good choices depending on the look you want.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:11 PM

I found this site very helpful when looking for information on threads and weights.

http://www.aurifil.com/SiteAurifil/COTTON.html
Old 06-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I would question the use of such a heavy thread for piecing, also? I have always used a finer thread for piecing so there is less bulk in the seams.

The sites listed above are great for thread info.

I took a moment to look at your blog and want to say how nice it is. The quilt show pictures are wonderful and I really like Jennifers' Maypole Dance.

Thanks again for t he tutorial info too.
peace
Old 06-04-2014, 03:32 PM

Along this note, how are we supposed to know what weight the thread is? So many spools don't state the thread weight. Even my old, faithful Coats & Clark no longer states the weight on the label.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

Any thread weight under 50 wt is much too thick for piecing. I would use the 35 wt if I wanted a stand out thread! C&C has a code usually something like T- 4. The chart of the codes are with the thread display. All thread weights are online for each brand.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I haven't seen it mentioned yet and don't want to take for granted that this is known by the OP. With thread, the higher the number the finer the thread. So 100wt thread is very fine, like a human hair. The lower the number the heavier the thread.
Another consideration is ply. Obviously a 3 ply thread will have a heavier appearance than a 2 ply thread. 3 ply is also stronger.
One of the reasons so many of us love Aurifil 50wt for piecing is because it is a two ply cotton and takes up very little room in the seam allowance better allowing us to perfect our piecing skills. Like a few other posters have mentioned, you may wish to try a lighter weight thread for your piecing. 35 wt is pretty heavy for piecing, even if it is a two ply.

If you want a very heavy thread for the quilting look into a 12 wt often used for Sashiko work. However, you don't indicate if you plan on hand quilting or machine quilting. You may be limited on how thick a thread you can run on your machine. Another thing that will help your quilting to pop is a bright contrasting color.