Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread...again.... >

Thread...again....

Thread...again....

Old 10-17-2017, 03:59 AM

Default Thread...again....

I thought I had this all figured out. *sigh*

Luckily, I did a practice piece before I began quilting my NY Beauty.

I had purchased Lilac and Charcoal Decobob to use for the SitD, which worked perfectly. I was also going to use the Charcoal for all the fill on the background, because it is so thin there wouldn't be much thread buildup if you had to backtrack, but when I did a practice sandwich, because the thread is shiny, it picks up the light and reflects it back as almost yellow in spots. Not what I'm looking for.

Plan B....I had purchased some King Tut in Obsidian that a salesperson had sold me when I asked for something dark but not black...did a test on it...it's actually a variegated thread with black/grey/copper in it! Not what I wanted.

Plan C....I have no plan C.

So, what's plan C?
Do I try to find another really dark grey? A really dark purple? Bite the bullet, buy black and squint? Other ideas?

Watson

Here's the piece, so you get an idea. [ATTACH=CONFIG]582358[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails finish1small.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-17-2017 at 06:11 AM. Reason: remove all caps
Old 10-17-2017, 04:36 AM

Another really dark gray. That is what I had the longarmer use on my PP king sized quilt that had black as the background color. I am really pleased with how it turned out. The quilting can be seen but is not the focus.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:11 AM

What a beautiful quilt!!!! Wish I had thread advice for you, but I am sure others will... I just had to admire your wonderful creation.

Dina
Old 10-17-2017, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

Lovely quilt ... now to get it to the finish line!

I know what you mean .... contrasting thread is easier to see for the quilter,
... but matching the thread is nicer, to let it fade into the background.

Some thoughts on thread ... try Invisafil 100 wt. It disappears even if it has some colour to it.
Doesn't solve your challenge of "seeing" it because you want to stay dark.
Possibility? a dark purple ... might give a wee bit of contrast, but might also fade into the black?

Take a look at your lighting ... move things around from your normal set-up.
Can you get more lighting aimed at the quilting area?
Perhaps set up a floor lamp? I'm thinking more of an industrial/work lamp, than a household.
You'll figure it out ... I am sure!
Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM

I would say that black would be the best unless you want the quilting to show up and in that case you need a bit of contrast. Some longarm quilters use a blacklight when they use black on black. good luck. You have a beautiful quilt and please post the finish.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I would go with black or invisible thread and if I had trouble sewing on the black background, I would purchase a package of white tissue paper from the $ store. I would pin the sheets on and quilt through it and tear it off after I was done, easy peasy.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would go with black or invisible thread and if I had trouble sewing on the black background, I would purchase a package of white tissue paper from the $ store. I would pin the sheets on and quilt through it and tear it off after I was done, easy peasy.

Rather than pinning .... there are 202 and 404 sprays (yes, from the 505 people) that you might want to use. It would help you keep it flat, rather than the bumps that pinning causes .... and the risk of hitting the pins while FMQing.

I'm not sure I would want to go the tissue paper route, but if it works then it's worth the try.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:25 PM

My thought is about the thread. Which brand and what fiber content is it? Cotton thread usually has less sheen than poly or rayon. Thread produced for machine embroidery has more sheen. Also trilobal poly thread reflects light and is intended to be shiny. For the least build up of thread and the least shine, I'd suggest Aurifil in 80 wt, black.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt top. I would either use black or nylon type thread. I only pin baste my quilts and have never had bumps. I seldom hit the pins when fmq. I just make sure the pins are out where I am going to quilt next.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:59 AM

Beautiful quilt top, thanks for sharing your picture. I purchased a head lamp from Amazon, and can see with the extra 3 LED lights the black on black, however I find I cannot wear it too long, it is so very bright, a couple of hours is long enough to use the brighter lights. I would agree with Chasezzz, the darker grey would be very nice, and perhaps easier for you to see.