Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thread color for machine blanket stitch applique?

Thread color for machine blanket stitch applique?

I am starting a quilted tree skirt for a family member....I don't have a huge thread collection, but so far I have used brown, green and gold Aurifil 50wt in the appropriate places to blanket stitch around the fused pieces. What color should I use for the gumdrops alongs the roof? I will use white or red for the candy canes, and I have navy for the lollipops. Would a light grey work for the gumdrops, or white, or???? Thanks as always for your help! This is the first of 6 panels that will make up the skirt....haven't decided o nth other appliqués yet! This pattern is one of the Baltimore Christmas blocks by Pearl Pereira.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think a grey would be fine. I just used a variegated thread on some dresden blocks I'm doing.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would probably use the same yellow as is on the roof and chimney, or beige/tan.

Blog Entries
    i'm crazy for applique, i'd either do the whole thing in black , or the separate colors. when I do app. I do about 6 blocks or more at a time, do all the red first, yellow, black blue you get it, all at one time. if this is a block of the month, maybe a light grey. I found using all black or the separate colors was the way to go for me. have fun and good luck.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Use the same color that you used for the stepping stones, it will look fine.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

That is really cute! I'd use white on the gum drops to mimic a sugar coating.
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
    That is really cute! I'd use white on the gum drops to mimic a sugar coating.
    I agree! Sew adorable!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I think white. Here is my thinking. It would look like a dusting of either snow or frosting.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Your block is so adorable. I think I would agree with RedGarnet and Latrinka about the white on the gumdrops and it would look like a sugar coating. I am sure anything you use will be so pretty.

I too think gray or white would be your best bet. Pool the thread along the applique and see what looks best. CUTE block.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

This is so so cute!

Blog Entries
    If you use a small white "bead stitch" around the gum drops it could look like sugar coating on them. Just my thought.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Very cute block, love it. I like the idea of white thread on the gumdrops too.

Blog Entries
    Very cute!Agree with white for the gumdrops on the roof.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Madamekelly-what is a bead stitch? I completed the blanket stitching with white-looks fine. I tend to overthink a lot! ��. Finished the embroidery on the gingerbread boy, and added their last name above the door....first time I have used the letter function on my machine! I will add some tiny beads in a few spots, and move on to the next piece. Thanks for your input!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
    Madamekelly-what is a bead stitch? I completed the blanket stitching with white-looks fine. I tend to overthink a lot! ��. Finished the embroidery on the gingerbread boy, and added their last name above the door....first time I have used the letter function on my machine! I will add some tiny beads in a few spots, and move on to the next piece. Thanks for your input!
    My quilting machine does a zigzag satin stitch, that is wide, then narrows again, then widens again, back forth. Since I can decide the stitch size, I forgot that not everyone has this machine. You could do french knots in white along the white stitching to get a similar effect... Have fun!
    Last edited by madamekelly; 05-17-2015 at 08:38 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.