Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Color Question >

Thread Color Question

Thread Color Question

Old 03-07-2020, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

So many factors. Thread type, ply, and weight to needle type and size to tension. All have to jive with each other and the quilt layers. I have less problems if I use the same thread but will use different colors of it in top and bottom.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I noticed a lot of you said to avoid pokies. If you have pokies then there is a problem with the stitch. I have taken dozens of machine quilting classes and eliminating pokies was the first hour of the very good classes. I always learn something from a class no matter how many of the same ones I take.
What type of machine do you use to quilt? What weight threads? What type of batting? All of these can affect the tendency toward pokes.....I used to get them more often when using a megaquilter on a frame, king tut cotton thread and 80/20 batting.....I now use an APQS Lucey, so fine mainly and polydown or hobbs 80/20....I get way fewer pokies now....but still get them occasionally especially when using a thinner batting....I always do a bit of test stitching on a bit of scrap the same weight as the quilt top.....I check the backside and do a number of direction changes while stitching....as I am older....I got a mirror and a good flashlight to check the backing for the stitches before I more onto the quilt. Using a long arm, I have gotten used to adjusting tension both for the top thread and the bobbin....but that is one reason I use mainly so fine as I have separate bobbins who tension is adjusted for so fine, bottom line, etc......it is nice to have specific bobbins for the different threads you use a bobbin threads....that way, you just usually have to adjust the top tension a bit....

Last edited by sewingpup; 03-07-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:24 PM

Thanks, all! But what is a pokie?
Old 03-08-2020, 01:28 AM

I try to use the same color on top and bottom, but sometimes the back is light and the front is dark. In that case I use two different colors. I have also been known to use a thin dark pigma pen to color any "pokies" that might appear. In addition, gray thread often blends in very well on both sides with many fabrics.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:01 AM

I try to match the bobbin thread to the backing.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:59 AM

if you use a different color thread, you can often see a little bit of the bobbin that is pulled to the top or the top thread that is pulled to the bottom. these bits that "poke" out are what they are referring to.

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Thanks, all! But what is a pokie?