Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread extra linty >

Thread extra linty

Thread extra linty

Old 12-14-2022, 12:32 PM

I haven't noticed Aurafil being any lintier than it ever has been. I have, however, noticed some fabrics I use being a lot lintier. I love Glide for FMQ and tried Isacord. I like it, too. I'm thinking of doing some piecing with Glide to see how it goes.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I use almost anything for piecing even the dreaded coats and clark. Sometimes for a project it doesn't matter. I do use a lot of Aurifil for piecing some things and that doesn't seem lintier to me. I can also FMQ with aurifil if I like the color. I do have Isacord mostly, some Glide and some Omni. I also sew with serger thread and sometimes quilt with it too. So far nothing bad has happened. I did get some Madiera because I liked the color but it kept breaking thread on quilting no matter what needle I used. I'm using it up on scrap quilts for piecing. It seems to do okay with that. It wasn't old and seemed fine on the spool and with the break test. My sewing room gets very dusty. I think the combination of fabric, thread and batting contributes because none of the other rooms get that dusty.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:18 AM

I use Connecting Threads cotton threads and yes, they are very linty but I clean my bobbin area every time I change my bobbin. I also love their polyester threads which are very strong. I've used my embroidery threads as my Innova seems to like most any thread I throw at it, even the metallic threads. Cleaning out the bobbin area is just a given thing along with cleaning off the rails from time to time and the wheels. Just part of the job of quilting. I keep scraps of batting to clean my rails and wheels with alcohol. Just use and throw away as it was a small scrap in the first place.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:44 AM

Just watched some videos on Youtube about lubricating thread.
I know Sharon Schamber was the first to come up with this and
the Youtuber acknowledges that. Just haven't tried it yet.
Apparently it also helps with lint. Might give it a try some day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xRjSAbl_NU
Old 12-15-2022, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Just watched some videos on Youtube about lubricating thread.
I know Sharon Schamber was the first to come up with this and
the Youtuber acknowledges that. Just haven't tried it yet.
Apparently it also helps with lint. Might give it a try some day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xRjSAbl_NU

Thanks for the link, I will give this a try.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I found King Tut variegated horrible. I use Aurafil for piecing on my sit down and also for quilting. I have a Janome 6500 and it is a thread snob. For the longarm, I feel ike I own them all, SoFine, Glide etc., but I prefer OMNI poly core wrapped. It is cheap too compared to other options. It might depend on the longarm you use also and the style of quilting. INNOVA, 26 in., lightening stitch on 12 ft table. I agree that I can use any thread on the INNOVA.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I found King Tut variegated horrible.
Superior used to make a variegated called "Rainbows", it was so awful they discontinued it. They have come out with better quality thread that is variegated.