Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread the good bad and ugly >

Thread the good bad and ugly

Thread the good bad and ugly

Old 11-25-2010, 09:03 PM

I'm a big fan of Aurifil. Very little dust/lint from it and it is great for piecing.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:06 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Pickles
.............. I use any thread that has a good price.
I think that the pioneer women used one kind of thread and that was what they had available to them and there Quilts are still around to this day, they had no fancy named threads to worry with and so I figure if they could make due so can I .. :D
Yuppers.. What she said!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:21 PM

I have a Brother I have had for about 30 years. It sews about any thread I put on it. I am sewing now with some thread that was given to me. It is some Coats and Clark and some other brands. I set the spool behind the machine and put an empty bobbin on the thread spool and let it run around it and through the machine. I also use my serger cones. If thread gets linty spray it with static spray. That is what we uswed in the factory I worked in.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:28 PM

I have used Gutterman for years and loved it. But the last few that I have purchased landed in the garbage ---they were constantly breaking and the lint coming off them was triple what it once was. I was so disappointed. I have started using Mettler and I am having good results. Also, I heard the King Tut was a great brand but have not tried it.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:32 PM

I really prefer Coats. My old Bernina machine does better with spools than the skinny tubes of thread. It is also very fussy about the bobbin thread being the same weight as the top thread.
JA also has a BOGO offer on thread -- get what you need, not a big set.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:06 PM

Me and my Janome love Superior and Mettler threads!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Guterman and Janome generally do not do well. The thread is good but it is a bit springy and stiff. It seems the machine does not like it. I am a big fan of Aurafill and Mettler.
I would have to agree wholeheartedly...100%.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
When I took a sewing class at JoAnns the instructor told us NOT to buy cheap thread and told us the reasons why. She then went on to tell us that Coats was a good brand.

Can you all discuss what brands you use and why and what brands to stay away from.
I know why to use good thread but I do not know how to tell good thread from bad thread before I buy it.
JoAnns has a sale on a whole cabinet of a 100 spools of Gutermann thread for 79.99 on there blackFriday deal.
Is this a good thread?
I just got a really nice Brother sewing machine and I hate toruin it with bad thread but I really need some thread for it.
:roll:
I used C&C on one quilt... I am still reinforcing seams! My old standby is Gutterman and I will not try anything new for a while. They are coming out with some beautiful variegated threads now.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:33 AM

I have two industrial machines and using them for a tight satin stitch means a LOT of lint no matter which thread is used. Mettler is the thread I use because there is less lint and therefore less trouble keeping it clean. Since these monsters are in tables holding huge motors, I have learned how disassemble and clean them myself for the past thirty years and which thread works best for my machine and me the cleaner!
Old 11-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I have two everyday couch quilts that were sewn with C&C dual duty thread that are 15 years old. Not one broken stitch on either one of them.

The breaking seams could be caused by the stitching not being even/right - once in a while the tensions go completely wacko - and then the stitching is more apt to either pull out or one of the threads to break when stressed.