Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread question for a newbie

Ok-

Can someone provide me basic info on threads? I don't have anyone local that I can talk too and just need to know what threads to use on what material and when.

Currently most of the thread I am using is 100% polyester wrapped thread (coats and clark)..I use it on fleece and cotton quilting projects. Should I be using 100% COTTON thread on the quilting projects when using only 100% cotton material?

What are you people using and why?? I see on connecting threads site they offer some nice deals on 100% Egyptian thread (cotton) which I don't even have a clue what that means.

Can anyone provide some simple information? Thanks!

You can use blended threads. I like the connecting threads thread, it is much better than the coats and clarks thread. I highly recommend it!

Some say that you shouldn't use anything but cotton thread with cotton fabric. I use whatever I have. I've made quilts with cotton thread or poly/cotton thread. No problems with either.

A experienced (and blue ribbon winner) in my quilt guild says the same thing-use what you have.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Everyone has an opinion on what kind of thread to use. I have been quilting by hand and machine and use whatever I like and the colors I need. Never had any problems. I love Mettles and have all the colors just about, you don't have to spend lots on thread to get good results. Read all the blogs and read on each website. They explain threads. So do magazines. Happy sewing.

Pam
    I think you will find most use what they have.

The folks I bought my sewing machine from 17 years ago swore that Coats and Clark would ruin it, that what they sold was the best for my machine. When I stated that I would have to buy a less expensive, less fussy machine I was told it would work fine, but I would need to regularly clean my machine.

I regularly use metalics, silk, polyester, blends, cottons, rayons, ect. Guess those folks at the Bernina dealer did not know what a fabulous machine they were actually selling that could do the crazy stuff I ask my sewing machine to do.

love your kitten w/headset on!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    You can use blended threads. I like the connecting threads thread, it is much better than the coats and clarks thread. I highly recommend it!
    ty for the info

Blog Entries
    Here's an interesting link about threads.

http://quiltbug.com/Articles/thread-theory.htm

Blog Entries
    I have read that some sewing machines are picky about what kind of thread they like. My favorites are Star thread and Connecting Threads thread. However, I also have some poly-blends that will do in a pinch. As long as the machine behaves and the thread isn't brittle, go for it.

Banned
    go to the web sites of any of the thread companies, especially Superior Threads. Most have info about threads.

Banned
    Egyptian Cotton doesn't mean it is cotton grown in Egypt but rather long staple cotton which makes stronger threads.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    Here's an interesting link about threads.

http://quiltbug.com/Articles/thread-theory.htm
    Wow, that has a lot of great information on thread! :thumbup:

The cheaper threads do leave alot more lint behind. You need to keep this in mind and clean your machine after every couple projects, just like you need to get a new needle!

Blog Entries
    I have always used Coats and Clark and never had any problems. Lots here swear by the connecting thread threads and someday I hope to try it :wink:

It definitely depends on what you are using the thread for and linty thread does require more cleaning. I had to take mine to the doctor because it had managed to pull a fuzz ball up into the tension disks and I couldn't get it out.

My only advice would be use what you've got (unless you got it at a Dollar Store--throw that away now!) but if your machine starts acting up and the thread looks ok and doesn't easily break when you pull on it, try a size larger needle and then try a different thread. You'll know quickly if your machine doesn't like a certain brand.

My Singer hates the thin poly threads. It will throw an absolute hissy fit and it likes to eat the pretty rayons which are only good for embroidery anyway. Not strong enough for seams or quilting.

My absolutely favorite machine quilting thread is Valdani. It's manufactured in Canada and their variegated 35wt - 2000m cones are the best. The thicker 35wt stands out so well on a quilt.

Go to www.valdani.com to take a look. They also have some good deals on the large cones. I just ordered 2 of my favorite 2000m cones for $5.80 each.

I use the Coats 50wt machine quilting mercerized cotton thread for piecing and some of my machine quilting.

Nearly all my thread is from Connecting Threads. Check them out.

Gal
    I was taught to use polyester threads with polyester fabrics and cotton thread with cotton fabrics, only because polyester thread can cut through softer cotton fabrics over a period of time. The test for a good thread is to tug it, if it breaks too easily then keep it for basting only. The same applies if it stretches when you tug on it (do a measure check before and after) some threads sold eg in the 'Two dollar shop' which have miles of thread have most likely been designed for over/locking and are best used on machines for that purpose, to use these threads in your sewing machine may affect the tention.

Gal

Go to Superiorthreads.com----they sell lots of "superior" thread and they have great videos on thread and needles and tension and stuff like that. It's very helpful.

Banned
    One of the best threads for hand quilting is from the Big Box store in a bin for .99 a spool. Made by A&E and comes in several colors.
    Otherwise I use whatever I have. If it really doesn't work then I toss it. I have used older threads that work well. I like the Coats and Clark older thread and buy it anywhere it is still available. It is cotton wrapped poly and machine and hand works well. I've bought boxes of older threads from Good will that work fine on my charity quilts. Test it and if it breaks easily, then there is a problem but if strong then will work.
    Also,. when you buy thread, some of the more expensive larger spools may be the best value. Check the quantity on the spool and calculate like the grocery store calculates items per once or serving

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    go to the web sites of any of the thread companies, especially Superior Threads. Most have info about threads.
    http://www.superiorthreads.com
    I rarely use any other thread than theirs. Bottom Line is a very thin poly thread. Masterpiece is a 100% cotton.
    Bob Purcell has very comprehensive information on threads and needles at the site.

some say if you use polyester thread it will cut through your fabric, eventually. But I feel by the time it does that I'll be long gone and the quilt will probably be in tatters anyway. I too love the thread from Connecting Threads and I also use Star thread.

I like Gutterman 100% cotton - you can buy it at Jo-Anns and use the coupons - in store or on-line. Less linty than Coats and Clark threads

Guttermann is really nice, but way too expensive. I prefer the connecting threads and they have wonderful sales. I have bought several of their sets of colors and always seem to have just the right one to blend. I have also gone to Hancock fabrics and bought the Mary Maxim big spools on sale, they seem to work well too.

I use whatever I have, which is mostly C&C. I would like to buy a set or two of CT thread but not right now. I currently have a larger spool of 100% cotton C&C and my very basic Singer doesn't seem to mind. This thing is a work horse and doesn't seem to mind anything though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast