Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread question >

Thread question

Thread question

Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 AM

Unless you have a big, powerful machine like a Bernina 830 or such, the 40wt. thread should be okay. I've tried in on my 830 & it either breaks or shreds the thread. Also make sure you have a quilting needle in your machine, that helps.

Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 04-14-2011, 05:42 AM

You can get any good thread to work on any machine but you might have to play with tensions, change your needle size and/or type, change your thread path to handle large cones or whiplashing threads like metallics, or slow down your speed.

Mercerized thread is normal, machine sewing & quilting thread. I think the previous poster was thinking about "glazed" cotton thread which is for hand piecing.

I have had to put some lines of Sewer's Aid down many spools of C&C thread and let it soak in for about 30 minutes before I could quilt with it. It was old or dry. Some of the very dark colors also seem to be thin in spots which drives the auto tension on my Elna crazy. It also fuzzes a lot so you will need to clean your bobbin area and needle bar frequently. I had some fuzz get sucked up into the tension assembly and I couldn't get it out myself. That was an $80 bill I wasn't very happy about and took 2 weeks out of my quilting time.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 AM

try the thread on a sample quilt sandwich. The way I was told to check the needle size was to thread 2 threads through the needle. If it pulls through easily, you should be ok. Rayon threads are a little more delicate and may need a bigger eyed needle.

An excellent source of information about needle size/ thread combos is Superior Threads website.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:18 AM

As suggested,Superior Threads has video shorts on threads and needles

this is a great one:

http://www.superiorthreads.com/video...fabulous-four/

it explains the winds on spools and tension..
Old 04-14-2011, 06:25 AM

Hope this pdf file works..

Thread~Needle~Bobbin~Tension info
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184066[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-184060.pdf (187.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 04-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Banned

I use thread labeled "for longarm quilting" on my regular machine all the time. It's fine for the top and for the bobbin.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 AM

I used both threads and REALLY like the thread labeled as the one for 'machine quilting'
The other, the poyester did fine, but it was thinner and 'stiffer' if that makes sense. It curled where it wanted to curl, made it harder to thread the needle. It looked ok, but I probably won't be buying it again

Did I say I really like the first one? I picked a variagation of autumn tones, and the colors were just lovely
Old 04-14-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
You can get any good thread to work on any machine but you might have to play with tensions, change your needle size and/or type, change your thread path to handle large cones or whiplashing threads like metallics, or slow down your speed.

Mercerized thread is normal, machine sewing & quilting thread. I think the previous poster was thinking about "glazed" cotton thread which is for hand piecing.

I have had to put some lines of Sewer's Aid down many spools of C&C thread and let it soak in for about 30 minutes before I could quilt with it. It was old or dry. Some of the very dark colors also seem to be thin in spots which drives the auto tension on my Elna crazy. It also fuzzes a lot so you will need to clean your bobbin area and needle bar frequently. I had some fuzz get sucked up into the tension assembly and I couldn't get it out myself. That was an $80 bill I wasn't very happy about and took 2 weeks out of my quilting time.
I'am sorry it is the glazed thread that your not supposed to use. my mistake.couldn't remember ,,,{a senior moment }Dottie Bug
Old 04-14-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
Thank you for answering, now I can open and try the pretty thread!
I am a sucker for pretty thread too. I think I have about as much thread as I do fabric. :roll: