Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread question >

Thread question

Thread question

Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 PM

Hi,
Would like your input re: do you use the same type of thread to piece & quilt ? I am using machine quilting thread to quilt as well as to piece. Is this ok to do ?
Thanks for your help ! :?:
Old 10-03-2011, 07:26 PM

I usually like to use a finer thread when I piece. I usually use 30 wt. thread to quilt with, and I like to piece with 50 or 60 wt. The thicker the thread you use for piecing, the more chance there is of you blocks being just a smidge too small.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

generally machine quilting thread is thicker than piecing thread. Usually a 30wt thread..for piecing you should a 40 or 50wt..unless paper piecing, then it should be a 50 or 60wt. I try to use a 60wt in the bobbin for both!

The thicker the thread, the harder for your seams to lie flat!The thinner the thread the better the seams will lie down, especially at intersections!

I hope that helps!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 PM

I sure do learn alot of good stuff on here!!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:44 PM

Well, do whatever works! If something is working for you, dontvlet anyone talk you out of it. That said, I use 50 wt cotton Aurifil or Masterpiece by Superior (also 50 wt cotton, but sometimes has the color I want, or I'm working on a machine such as a featherweight that "likes" as horizontally wound spool) to piece. I prefer thicker thread, 40, 28, or even 12 wt for most quilting. I only use 50 wt when I want it to blend in.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 PM

Even though I agree with what Jackie said, I only use one type of thread for
piecing and quilting. It's 50wt Essential Thread from Connecting Threads.
It's good quality and at a reasonable price. A little thicker than I'd like but I
can live with it.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
It's good quality and at a reasonable price. A little thicker than I'd like but I
can live with it.
a 50 wt thread is good for piecing- and if you like it for quilting-that's good too- a 30 wt thread is ALOT thicker thread- and when used for piecing will take up (space) which (can) make your pieces---just a smidge off- or not lie flat. the thinner the thread the more precise your piecing will be. it doesnt' matter which thread you use for piecing-or quilting as long as it's strong- the color you want-and is the weight you need (the right weight in the right needle makes a difference in your precision too) there are free charts you can print off --one from Superior Threads- other thread companies have them too- which will show you what threads go with what needles- and what they are (normally) used for-
lots of us use the same thread piecing and quilting- but the thinner the better---the lower the number the thicker (heavier) the thread- so 30 wt- is twice as heavy as 60 wt thread--
Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
can live with it.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:01 AM

I use one for all. Didn't know I shouldn't!!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:06 AM
Banned

I use Bottom Line, a Superior Threads product for hand and machine piecing, and for machine and hand quilting. It's the thinnest thread I've found and really lies flat when pressed.
If I want cotton I use Aurifil.
The gal who does most of my machine quilting uses King Tut and So Fine - both Superior Threads products.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by berrypatch
Hi,
Would like your input re: do you use the same type of thread to piece & quilt ? I am using machine quilting thread to quilt as well as to piece. Is this ok to do ?
Thanks for your help ! :?:
THANKS SEW MUCH ~ I appreciate all the replies which are a great help. I felt that the thread I am using to piece was too heavy & as Jackie and others have mentioned, that could very well be why I am having some difficulty with matching seams & blocks. :oops: