Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread question >

Thread question

Thread question

Old 11-16-2010, 06:03 AM

I am headed to my last quilting class :cry: and will ask this question there also but wanted to check with all you experts. what is the best type of thread? I don't have a machine that uses cone thread (would love to figure out a way to be able to use it though, less costly). This morning I was sewing together some blocks for a rag quilt tohone my non existent sewing skills and the thread keeps breaking off the needle after a while. I checked the tension, threading of the machine, etc., and all seem to be correct. My thread I am using a a quilting thread purchased at Joanns and it is Americana 100% Glaced Cotton. Does the "Glaced" have something to do with jamming my machune and breaking the thread? I so need a quilting mommy!!! :roll:
Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 AM

You can get a thread stand that sets behind your machine so you can use cone thread. Clotilda has them.They are not very much. Joann's may have them.
When thread breaks at the needle it may have a burr on the end of it, try changing it. Good luck
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 AM

Sounds like the thread is hand quilting thread- glaced means it has a coating on it. This will definitely cause the problems you are talking about.

There is no one "best" type of thread. Quality thread is important IMHO, Aurafil and Superior Threads are some of the ones I find the best- but there are many good threads and many opinions! I would go to a quilt store and ask for some help selecting the right one for what you want to do. Also the Superior Threads website has tons of information about different types of thread and their uses.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 AM

I can't help with the thread glaced ? but I sometimes use cone thread by sitting it in a tall plastic cup behind my SM. it works well for me.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:25 AM

I do know you are not supposed to use hand quilting thread on the machine because of the coating on it .
Old 11-16-2010, 06:29 AM

many on this board report that their machine will only sew with certain thread, so you need to find that out about your machine. Otherwise, like fabric, get the best you can afford, I love Superior brand because it is high quality and seems to work on everything for me. I also use Mettler and Gutterman a lot, especially if they're on sale. That being said, even those brands have several versions and you need to make sure you use a machine thread and not a hand quilting thread. The needle type also makes a big difference...if the hole in the needle is not smooth enough or large enough for the thread, the thread will break more often. Superior, and several quilters I know and know about say that if you always use a topstich needle you can work with any type of thread because the hole is larger and smoother and the scarf of the needle is large enough to handle any thread except the largest (jean type) threads.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 AM

Glaced thread is for hand quilting only. As mentioned by others it has a specific coating on it that is not for machine quilting but specifically for hand quilting only. It can really jam up your machine.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 AM

Oh, don't use that thread in your machine! You will cause damage, I know! LOL That Americana is the only thread I like for handquilting. It is heavy and coated and does a good job. In the machine, it will cause damage.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 AM

I have a Pfaff, 3 Brother, and a Singer. I have used the cone thread from Joann's on all of them with no problem. It is polyester and the quilts I make are for family and friends. I have a stand I set behind the machine for the cone. It has an arm about 15" high to direct the thread. When the stand is in use on another machine, I set the cone in a cup and elevate it to the height of the machine or as needed. My sister has rethreaded empty spools from cone thread. The thread you are using, I have only used for hand quilting. I tried it in the machine, but like you said, it breaks the needle.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Japonica
I am headed to my last quilting class :cry: and will ask this question there also but wanted to check with all you experts. what is the best type of thread? I don't have a machine that uses cone thread (would love to figure out a way to be able to use it though, less costly). This morning I was sewing together some blocks for a rag quilt tohone my non existent sewing skills and the thread keeps breaking off the needle after a while. I checked the tension, threading of the machine, etc., and all seem to be correct. My thread I am using a a quilting thread purchased at Joanns and it is Americana 100% Glaced Cotton. Does the "Glaced" have something to do with jamming my machune and breaking the thread? I so need a quilting mommy!!! :roll:
Please don't use any Glaced thread in a machine...it will leave a waxy residue in the machine. It is only for hand sewing. Use a Joanns coupon for a thread stand to use your cone threads.
Now to fix up your machine---take a regular sewing thread and double it up. Hold it like you would dental floss and go back and forth in your tension assembly. Then thread the machine, minus the needle and do the same thru the entire threading diagram. Discard the used thread and you should be OK. Good luck.