Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Question-Very Confused >

Thread Question-Very Confused

Thread Question-Very Confused

Old 08-30-2015, 08:10 AM

that link was just so helpful, thank you
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I have the Brother 1500 with the 3 hole bar. I only use the first hole as a guide, not for tension. A Brother tech told me he had no idea why that bar was there, it caused too many problems. It is suppose to be to add stability to specialty thread and he had no idea what type of thread that would be. It will, if all three holes are used, put a lot of tension on the thread cutter causing it to unthread the needle.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:45 PM

Thank you for all of these responses. I now think that 100 wt thread is just too fine to use on the top of my machine. When I bought it, I wasn't thinking about the weight, just the great colour and good brand name. I tried using it for hand appliquing a butterfly and it was perfect (thanks for the suggestion Peckish). My next thing will be to only use it in the bobbin. I now know quite a bit more about thread and appreciate all of your thoughts.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I have a Juki TL98Q which is a workhorse of a machine and makes a perfect stitch no matter what thread I use. Because I have stitched for many years, I had a huge collection of every type of thread imagineable from new to rather old. My machine has never complained about Gutermann, Coats and Clark, Signature, serger thread, very old Drima or anything else. Other quilters were always talking about "better thread" so I decided to treat my machine and bought Wonderfil Invisafil Wt 100 in a lovely silvery shade ($12.00 for a large spool) that would blend so well with my fabric. My machine will absolutely not stitch with it. It starts, sews five or six stitches and promptly breaks. Should this thread only be used in the bobbin and not in both the top and bobbin? I have changed the needle and bobbin, cleaned the machine and adjusted the tension and re-threaded it several times. It seems that this thread expensive or not is giving my machine serious indigestion! Any thoughts?
100 wt thread is usually a bobbin thread. You will need a much smaller needle (nothing larger than a 14)..and loosen the upper tension at least one full turn. You would have to adjust the bobbin to work with the looser upper tension (loosen the bobbin 1/12 of a turn). For quilting...I'd not use anything thinner than a 60 wt thread. I think invasifill comes in several weights. Remember the larger the number, the thinner the thread.