Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thread Snipping Warning

Glad no real damage done. I use my pinking shear rotary cutter (no sure the correct name) so I don't have thosethread issues after washing. It makes my Life so much easier.

A timely warning! Just getting ready to wash a bunch of fabric. Thanks!

I'm not ashamed (maybe embarrassed) to admit I've done this and I've also snipped my fingers.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    NOOOOOOO! "Coulda, woulda, shouda...the 3 stooges of regret."
    I have been saying this alot on the current wip! I will remind myself of the "oops" with the thread snippets too.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieC View Post
    I'm not ashamed (maybe embarrassed) to admit I've done this and I've also snipped my fingers.
    I'm partial to drawing blood, by stabbing my hands, with pins. I just finished a dog bed (quilt block top), for a friend of mine . . . and I swear, I stabbed myself with that thing, at LEAST a dozen times! Smoothed the top. . . right into the already-there pins. Folded the bulk, to sew seams . . . and guess what happens, when you press down on pinned fabric!

Blog Entries
    One time I was trimming a Lone Star top and cut one of the corner squares. I had to buy fabric and replace all four squares. I feel your pain.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

I was taught to just place the scissors edge against the thread & it will cut it. don't snip. also, when washing any
    amount of fabric, snip a 3/4" triangle off the four corners. no tangles. If I have several yards of fabric, I fold it into
    a piece about 24"x WOF (width of fabric) . then pin in middle & all edges with large safety pins. will go through the wash & dryer just fine with no tangled mess to fool with.

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Be glad it was "just" fabric... I did that was a completed quilt! There was a little thread sticking out from some applique, I snipped & voila! A hole in a quilt that was about 2 hours away from being presented at a baby shower! Luckily it was a quilt with flower blocks & believe it or not, I had one of those little pre-made appliques of a bumblebee, so I slapped it on there. Whew!
    This is a great idea - must get some pre-made appliques to have on hand if this ever happens to me. Thanks for sharing your tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Just a little snippet, near the middle of the yardage, about the size of a pin head. Luckily, it only got one layer . . . and the fabric will be used mostly for sashing. It was one of those slow-motion-type moments, as the tip of the scissors closed on the fabric. LOL
    Oh---Don't you just hate it when that happens!

Norma

Ouch! Well, at least it didn't happen AFTER sewing the piece into a WIP! I did that once to a blouse that was nearly finished. =(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2