Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thread

Do you all like the Coats Dual Duty XP? I'm new to sewing (about a year) and new to quilting. I was taught that Coats is "slubby" and actually have magnified photos of the difference in threads. At the time, I don't think Coats XP was available.

Blog Entries
    I use Coats Dual Duty and Connecting threads cotton thread.

Blog Entries
    I would like to know if you would use CT cotton threads on your Bernina? :P

I have a Janome, but I was taught, and saw the difference in threads, and use Gutterman or Mettler thread. The "slubby" thread can mess with tension disks and breaks a lot, etc. I "do" the Joanne's, thing and often could use a coupon to buy Coats, so I'm wondering if anyone has any issues with it.

btw the Coats Dual Duty XP is described as poly wrapped polyester thread, so would a person use that in quilting, which is usually cotton?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I never buy Coats anymore. I use Gutermann and the others in that price range. The cost is worth it.

I use Coats Cotton thread. I've bought Guttermann before and I had the worst time with it. It kept breaking for some reason. Maybe just a bad batch.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I have always had good luck with C&C Dual Duty. Until I joined this board I didn't know that it was slubby! The cotton Mettler was not good for me. When I'm out of all the neutral C&C I have, I'll buy the Sew Fine, etc. threads that everybody here swears by.

Well, it's good to know Coats is good, it is much less expensive.

I use CT thread with both of my Berninas and have never had a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    I would like to know if you would use CT cotton threads on your Bernina? :P
    I am not the person you asked this question to, but I have a Bernina (an old one) and I use Connecting Threads cotton thread with no problem at all.

I've yet to try Connecting Threads, but I LOVE Aurifil 50 wt and Masterpiece by Superior Threads for piecing. I got the Aurifil on clearance from www.Tristanthreads.bc.ca or maybe it's www.Tristan.bc.ca. Candace of this board gave us that tip. With the clearance, it was aboutvthe same price as CT. It's all it's cracked up to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    I've yet to try Connecting Threads, but I LOVE Aurifil 50 wt and Masterpiece by Superior Threads for piecing. I got the Aurifil on clearance from www.Tristanthreads.bc.ca or maybe it's www.Tristan.bc.ca. Candace of this board gave us that tip. With the clearance, it was aboutvthe same price as CT. It's all it's cracked up to be.
    I've always been leary of ordering from them without knowing ahead of time what the custom fees and the taxes will be coming into the U.S. Do you still feel like you got a good deal with those charges in addition to the shipping?

Took a class "Insiders tour of your machine" covered thread from a fellow that has worked with machines for over 30 years, I will not use C&C, and I have been using connecting threads a little, i do not like it, it is way to much linty.

I had always been using Gutterman, I noticed when I used Metler 100% cotten it really shredded alot and I had a lot of lint to clean up. Is that typical with cotten threads?