Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thread?????

okay just wondering, when piecing, do you match your thread to your fabric? I haven't been, then I noticed sewing with darker fabric the thread really shows up, but it is on the backside.....

I just am used to sewing clothing and different things where I always matched my thread...now I thought maybe that wasn't important.

bj
    I mostly piece with an ecru color. If most of the fabric in the blocks is dark (which isn't often) I use a gray.

Seems like most of mine is done with gray.

Banned
    I use white thread a lot. I like scrappy quilts though I'm a rank beginner :roll:

I use white, Ecru, Mother Goose, and Black....40 wt. Signature thread

I use mostly Ecru on lights and grey on darks. Unless there are a lot of white fabs then I will use white for piecing.

I used, Ecru,white or very light gray.

I was surpised at how many people used gray and hadn't tried it until this topic popped up a bit ago....I'd always used a beige/off white/taupe because that's what I learned on and it does make a difference. I'll still use up what I've got on hand but have added gray to a couple tiny projects and I'm LOVIN it.

Nancee

I use mainly Gutermann 618 (light grey) thread. Used white too when piecing whites together.

Tisha

Blog Entries
    Like the others, I use ecru, white or grey.

I try to match as close as possible, but tan and gray work good too.

Thanks everyone. That is very helpful information. I'm going to have to try the gray....

I try to match, but use gray alot it hides very well

I've been matching my thread to my fabric, never thought to use grey or ecru. Thanks ladies you just saved me some money!
    Renee

Power Poster
    Another color that really blends in well with mediums to darks is called
    "smoke" (I think) by Coates & Clarks.

It looks a lot like the color of Easter egg dye water (sort of that greenish gray after all the colors get mixed up)

I use ecru or grey and also light lavender. Its hard to beleive but it blends very well. The only time I use white or black is if the fabric is white or black. With all the different colore used in a quilt it would be hard to match the fabric with the thread.

I use the ecrus and grays mostly, but am prone to use up "odd" spools when it doesn't show. That's a good way to free up bobbins (and the spool rack).

gcathie, what's MOTHER GOOSE?

Banned
    Yeah, ditto on the Mother Goose question!! :D

I go with the predominant fabric color, which is usually dark in my quilts. It tends to make me more careful since ripping out stitches is much harder when you can't see them!!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    I use the ecrus and grays mostly, but am prone to use up "odd" spools when it doesn't show. That's a good way to free up bobbins (and the spool rack).

gcathie, what's MOTHER GOOSE?
    I will do this, too, when I'm using "whatever" fabric.

If the project is only one or two colors, I try to use a thread that is close.

If I'm sewing white to a darker color, I will use the darker color. If I'm sewing white to white, I will change the threads and use white both top and bottom.

I mainly use Coats & Clarks Dual Duty All Purpose - seems to work well for me. That's what my first quilt class instructor suggested.

What do you use?

I mainly use either Gutermann, Mettler or Essential Threads from Connecting threads. I try to use threads that are high quality and won't give me quite so much lint in the bobbin area. Though, I get a lot more lint from Essential Threads than the other two

Has anyone used thread from ThreadArt.com? I bought the 40 spool cotton thread set and loved it on my Singer but the new Viking doesn't seem to like it. I was using it to quilt. Next time I will try it on piecing and see if that is better. Now I'm using Coats and Clark machine quilting and craft thread, so far so good.

Bearisgray is right. I had a pair of twill pants to hem and had absolutely no thread the right color. I took a swatch to JoAnns and the Coats & Clark "smoke" was a perfect match. :mrgreen: I would never have picked this color for anything else but I can see that it would be a good "neutral" for medium/dark colors, especially in piecing. I still use the old standbys though; white, gray and ecru.

I almost always use lt. grey a quilting store lady turned me on to that. When quilting though I try to match thread and use the bobbin thread to match the backing.