Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 PM

Default Thread

This has probably been discussed before but not lately anyway. I have been told to use cotton thread when sewing cotton fabric. Then I was told to use polyester thread always. Tell me what do you use and why.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

The name brand thread made today is all good. I have about every brand and my machine likes some better then others. All the name brands make poly, rayon and cotton thread. I like very thin thread for piecing, nothing over 50wt 2 ply. I like 50wt 3 ply and heavier for machine quilting. Right now I'm using Aurifil because I got a lot of it and all my machines like it. I don't care if I use poly thread on cotton fabric. It doesn't matter.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 PM

I use whatever I have on hand! There is always going to be a million different opinions about thread just like there is about fabrics, sewing machines, pressing, pre washing, etc. You get the idea! I use Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP which for years I thought was 100% cotton but not too long ago I looked at the label and it is 100% polyester covered polyester! I know that there are concerns about polyester threads "slicing" cotton material but I really don't believe that will happen in my lifetime! I have used Gutterman Rayon for decorative stitching or appliqueing, and Signature which is mercenized, whatever that is. I have used 100% cotton too. Usually it is whatever I have and matches what I am sewing.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 PM

For a good explanation on thread go to SuperiorThreads.com. For quilting on my long arm I use whatever gives me the look I'm going for. Glide from bobbincentral.com. Most any from Superior Threads. For piecing I usually use Superior Thread's Masterpiece #50 weight cotton thread. I like the way it stitches and doesn't add bulk to seams.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 PM

I agree with the suggestion about checking Superior's website - it is VERY informative and will put all questions and rumors to rest. Click on the "Thread Education" link.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/
Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 PM

I use what I have. Cotton and Poly. Years ago it was said that poly would put holes in cotton items, I think they have found that not to be true now after all these years.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:02 AM

Thanks so much for your input. I did go to the website and it is very informative.