Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread >

thread

thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

OK Karla, here is what I've been taught in a couple of classes and I've used the advice. It has worked out really well for me so far, AND it has made me much more conscious of making sure I have the "right" tool for the job.

All of these are good for cotton thread:
80/12 Microtex, 80/12 Jeans/Denim, 75/11 Quilting, 90/14 Topstitch

These are good for Metallic thread:
80/12 or 90/14 Metallica, 80/12 Metafil

Some of the difference in the needles are that the Jeans/Denim 80/12 are much sharper than the universal and they will more easily go through all the layers of the quilt, especially when using cotton batting.

The Microtex Sharp 80/12 is the best needle for quilting on poly batt..it will not dull as quickly and is meant for synthetic fabrics.

The Metallic or Metafil needles are recommended for use on rayon or with metallic threads due to the larger eye which will not wear the thread as much.

Some of this information came from Paula Reid of Batts in the Attic, and some of the information came from Libby Lehman.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:27 PM

Thank you for the question Karla and thanks to all who gave the wonderful answers!!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

My favorite thread is Essentials from Connecting Threads.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM

My babylock Quilter's Choice Professionel is not so pickey but my Babylock Ellure Plus can be a B---h with thread. Change the needle. I have found it works more times than not & make sure it is threaded right. I kept having trouble with the thread breaking or eating it into bobbin case so I took apart twice to clean & finally found the problem. When needle broke, the tip wound up under bobbin case & I didn't know so make sure when you break one you find all the pieces.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

The best machine thread I have ever used is YLI silk thread. Zero lint. For piecing I use Essential Thread. The best selling bobbin thread is Bottom Line from Superior and it's 100% poly. We had one lady in a quilt class and she was the type that nothing but 100% cotton would do for her quilts. She was beyond mad when she found out Bottom Line was a poly thread.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
We had one lady in a quilt class and she was the type that nothing but 100% cotton would do for her quilts. She was beyond mad when she found out Bottom Line was a poly thread.
I know I'm being tacky...but don't ya' just love when that happens>>> :twisted:
Old 04-12-2009, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I vacuum my bobbin area with one of those hand held vacuums it works pretty good. The nozzel isn't big enough to do a really good job but it does get into places you cant reach with a brush.
I wasted money on an attachment for my vacuum cleaner made just for sewing machines and it was a big hassle and did not work that well. Cost 10 dollars at Joanns sewing center. Dont buy one.

thanks for that tip, was thinking of doing just that. will use my ten dollars on fabrics and use a brush. :D
Old 04-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
OK Karla, here is what I've been taught in a couple of classes and I've used the advice. It has worked out really well for me so far, AND it has made me much more conscious of making sure I have the "right" tool for the job.

All of these are good for cotton thread:
80/12 Microtex, 80/12 Jeans/Denim, 75/11 Quilting, 90/14 Topstitch

These are good for Metallic thread:
80/12 or 90/14 Metallica, 80/12 Metafil

Some of the difference in the needles are that the Jeans/Denim 80/12 are much sharper than the universal and they will more easily go through all the layers of the quilt, especially when using cotton batting.

The Microtex Sharp 80/12 is the best needle for quilting on poly batt..it will not dull as quickly and is meant for synthetic fabrics.

The Metallic or Metafil needles are recommended for use on rayon or with metallic threads due to the larger eye which will not wear the thread as much.

Some of this information came from Paula Reid of Batts in the Attic, and some of the information came from Libby Lehman.

As I was just going to buy some more needles for my machine, I printed out your info, should be a real help. thanks, patti :D
Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 AM

GF and I were talking about thread used in a sewing machine just yesterday. She makes cloth dolls and now is quilting also a beginner like me. She uses CC universal hand quilting thread that is Not coated in her machine. Says it works great and has been using it for a few years.

Sandpat I second the thank you on the needle info. :D
Old 04-12-2009, 05:43 PM

The thread I like best if Aurifil. It seems more expensive than Mettler or C&C, but it's a huge spool, so it's a good deal in the end. The thread is nice and smooth and buries well in the seam, and also makes a nice quilted finish. Also, John Flynn's "So Fine" from Superior Thread is a good thread - for piecing as well as quilting.