Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Where's the best place (lowest price) for Aurifil 50wt 2ply cotton thread?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 PM

Aurifil for piecing, King Tut for quilting and Bottom Line for hand applique.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:20 PM

Another vote for Aurifil for piecing and King Tut for quilting. I sometimes use YLI for quilting. Before Aurifil I used Gutermann for piecing.

For appliqué (machine) I use Superior Highlights or Rainbow as I like a little definition. Sometimes Madeira or Alcazar for a particular colour.

Don't hand sew - other than binding - for which I use silk.

Last edited by Knitette; 04-08-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:29 PM

I've used Coat and Clark cotton covered poly for piecing for the last 25 years. My old quilts that I wash in the washer/dryer all the time are doing GREAT. It's harder to get that thread, so I switched to poly covered poly. It's fine too. The important thing for me is to use 37 weight thread at least. Lots of people use 50 weight and finer, and I just don't think that thread is really strong enough. But that's just me.

For quilting, I used Coat's or Star cotton, but more recently have gotten more creative and have been using Glide and Mettler trilobal polyester and Signature cotton.

I hear lots of talk about linty thread. The lintiest part of quilting is batting, followed closely by fabric. I've found that white on whites tend to be especially linty. Thread falls last in that spectrum. Look at the color of your lint. You'll see why I say fabric is a huge contributor.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:26 AM
Power Poster

most of the time I use aurifil thread for piecing- my machines all seem to like it which is a nice change- some of the other choices I've made have not been as good from one machine to another- I like the smooth, fine stitching I get from aurifil. I also use silk thread, some of the connecting threads thread- YLI threads, -- depends on the project, the color I need, what I have on hand, what kind of stitching i'm doing, what the fabrics are like...but aurifil is generally my first choice.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
Where's the best place (lowest price) for Aurifil 50wt 2ply cotton thread?
people tend to 'balk' at the prices of aurifil thread- but they are only looking at 'this spool-compared to that spool price' not how much thread they are actually getting- I can go to joanne's and pay $2.89 for a spool of coats & clark (with 220 yards of thread on the spool) or I can order a spool of aurifil for $10 and get 1100 yards of thread ( I think the aurifil is a much better deal! so, I seldom worry about spending that $10- I know the thread is going to go a long way and it is good quality. all that being said---- I buy a lot of mine from Fabric.com since they have free shipping at $35 I can pick up 4 spools of aurifil and have no shipping charges- a great deal for me.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:32 AM

I use a lot of thread for many different things, including when I'm doing my embroidery. My machine loves it all so I use it all when I find what I like. When it comes to piecing, especially if you are dealing with a block with lots of small pieces I only use Aurifil. It's two ply and my blocks come out the right size. Most threads are 3 ply and you can believe how much one ply extra will make in your quilt size. Plus I only use cotton for piecing on cotton fabric so that it'll have a better chance of lasting as long as my fabric does. Other threads, poly, rayon has a tendancy to cut thru cotton over time so I don't take a chance even though I'll probably not be around in the time it takes to happen but I want my quilts to last way after I'm gone.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

When I bought my Bernina over 15 years ago, I was told to use Mettler silk finish cotton thread and I still do. since then, there are many types of new threads that have come out. Maybe someday I will try another. One of my new quilting friends has a Bernina similar to mine and she loves King Tut thread.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 AM

I use Aurifil for both piecing and quilting on my DSM. Love that thread! For garment sewing, I use either Mettler or Gutermann.

Last edited by franc36; 04-09-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:25 AM

I love Aurifil for piecing because it's so very thin. Although I bought a huge spool of neutral polyester thread from Connecting Threads and piecing with that is really nice too.

For quilting, I'll use Aurifil if I'm doing stitch in the ditch, but if I'm doing a FMQ design or decorative stitching and I want the thread to show up, I go to my huge stash of Connecting Threads cotton thread and use that - it's thicker and shows up better, plus I have a lot more colors in that thread on hand to choose from. I use same thread in the bobbin as whatever I'm using on top.