Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread ? >

Thread ?

Thread ?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:19 PM

I use Mettler silk-finish to piece.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:24 PM
CRH

My very favorite is Aurifil, I think it is 50/2ply and it is strong but fine enough not to make my seams bulky!! Usually use the tan off-whites, it goes with almost everything! But I keep greenish and black on hand just in case.

One of my nearby fabric shops carries it but sometimes have to wait for the new shipment to get my colors.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

I like InvisiFil thread. It's super thin and very strong. I use it in my bobbin. I like Connecting Threads color sets. I bought the large cone size of neutral color of Connecting Threads and I piece with that for the top thread. I had a sampler of Aurifil and it's nice but now that Aurifil has big names in quilting endorsing it, it has gone up in price. Got to pay those spokespeople somehow.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:05 PM

I always use YLI Soft Touch 60/2 for piecing - it's strong, fine and hardly leaves any lint.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:11 AM

I LOVE Masterpiece thread but it is pricey. I use Connecting threads for all my charity quilts where the exact 1/4 is not as important.

What I do when I use the thicker threads---is cut just a TINY bit wider. I hate the scant 1/4 inch and have trouble making it with my Featherweight. You cannot move the needle over with this older but goodie.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 AM

Hi, I am wanting to try this invisible thread on a quilt I am making. Does Joann's sell it? Can you use the invisifil thread for the top thread, and another color for bobbin thread? I tried using some clear thread I had, and it is so thin, keeps breaking all the time. It is some I've had for awhile. Do you have to set the tension different when using this type of thread? Sure would appreciated any impute on this. Thanks so much.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:39 PM

I have talked to people and many have had problems with coats...and told me to buy http://www.sulky.com/ or a few other high end threads - that is really makes a difference...not the quit but keeping you machine running good.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:40 PM

I tried the invisible thread...nightmare...I just bought the clear thread hoping it will be better...it looks great but its a pain to sew.
Originally Posted by Marcine
Hi, I am wanting to try this invisible thread on a quilt I am making. Does Joann's sell it? Can you use the invisifil thread for the top thread, and another color for bobbin thread? I tried using some clear thread I had, and it is so thin, keeps breaking all the time. It is some I've had for awhile. Do you have to set the tension different when using this type of thread? Sure would appreciated any impute on this. Thanks so much.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I use thread from Connecting Threads. It has always worked great for me.
I love Connecting Threads thread.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:04 PM

I have used invisible thread for quilts and placemats. I haven't had any trouble with it. Joanns has it as well as Michaels used to.