Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kryssa
Thanks for all the info.

I think my dilemma boils down to whether to use cotton thread or polyester thread for my flannel pajama pants pattern. Do you guys make any garments? What thread do you use when sewing with flannel?
Up to now I have used Gutermann cotton thread which when you have a JoAnns coupon is a great buy. I just tried Presencia 50 wt which was amazing for piecing but pricy. In garment sewing, I would suggest that you may want to match the thread just in case you need to do top stitching or button holes. In piecing, I agree with amma on colors:

Originally Posted by amma
I use white, cream, darker cream and black to piece most all of my blocks. I buy a cotton thread, but certainly not at that price
Old 01-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Administrator

i've used all sorts of threads since i began this adventure called Quilting. at first i used the general purpose poly-cotton blends because they are the least expensive. then i discovered websites like threadart.com and connectingthreads.com.

the prices there are very competitive with a certain bigbox store we all love to hate. when i switched to cotton thread i discovered three things:

(1) it's easier to pick/pull/rip out the stitches when i use cotton thread. that's an especially important benefit to me because i do sooooooo much reverse sewing.

(2) cotton thread is more likely to "become part of the quilt" when i use it to do machine quilting. polyester tends to just sit on top.

(3) cotton thread is easier to use when i hand-quilt. i get fewer knots, for one thing.

a very kind person gave me several spools of some VERY expensive cotton thread. like $9 and $12 per spool! i was suitably grateful and will remember and lover her forever as an extremely generous soul. but i've found that thread from threadart (TA) and connecting threads (CT) work just as well. lately i've been buying all my thread from CT. their solid cottons are a even tha nicer than TA and only a little bit more 'spensive. others may disagree, but i think my CT threads perform better than the ones i used with the killer pricetags.

i used to try to match the color of my thread to the colors in the fabrics while piecing. i gave that up when i discovered that:

(1) it almost never matters if the thread and fabrics match during piecing. i've pieced using white fabs and black thread and you can't tell the difference.

(2) by switching to neutrals i save tons of money because i can buy the big cones.

(3) when there's some contrast between the colors of the threads and fabrics, it's easier to see the stitches if i need to pick them out. (are you detecting a trend here? :lol: )

the best thing you can do for yourself is to shop around. buy one or two spools of each thread you find that fits into your budget. experiment until you find the one you like best.

then ignore everybody who thinks you made the wrong selection. ;-)
Old 01-24-2010, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
. . .
What great advice PatriceJ!!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:53 AM

I used to use Mettler silk finish, am changing over to Aurifil. Not inexpensive, but not too bad. I bought three spools yesterday @ $9/spool - but it's a 1,422 foot spool. If I'd wanted to wait, or needed a larger color selection, it's available for $7 from jhittle's (http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com/sewing/catalog.php)

I find I have less lint in my Bernina with the Aurifil.

As far as colors - I use cream, beige, grey or black, depending on main color in what I am piecing.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:49 AM

Kryssa

I really like the Mettler silk finish thread as when using scant quarter inch seams etc. you don't lose any length in your fold over when pressing to one side . I hope that make sense to you. Even tho some threads say they are 50# doesn't mean they feel or act the same. I also use Robison Anton cotton thread on larger spools but they aren't the same as the mettler. For garment sewing I use Maxi-lock polyester in my serger and I also use it to hem garments etc. Been sewing garments for several years and haven't had a problem with this method.

Suzy
Old 01-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

All the big brand names have quality thread and all are excellent. I have spool of about every brand I've picked up here and there. I use Connecting Threads Essentials cone thread and it's great for all my general sewing and piecing. I use poly Maxi Loc thread too. It's as good as any poly brand name thread. I like to use 100wt or higher for my bobbins. Coats & Clark has a great bobbin thread and it's easy to find at JoAnn's and other chain stores. When I hear only use ____ this for quilting, I tune that person out.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 AM

When I started quilting I used Coats & Clark & American as that is what I grew up sewing with. Then the LQS people say oh no you can't use that stuff. Mettlers is very expensive at my shop. I have bought Robinson-Anton (that may spellled wrong) & have been very happy with there thread. I bought a varigated spring green that I quilted my mother's quilt with & it turned out great.I was really surprised to find out that there are so many threads & what is considered junk.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
the best thing you can do for yourself is to shop around. buy one or two spools of each thread you find that fits into your budget. experiment until you find the one you like best.

Great advice! Also, some machines seem to do better with certain brands of thread. So experimenting would be the best route.

I also piece with either white or neutral thread. I've yet to do a quilt with dark colors, but when that day comes I'll probably use a dark blue.

As far as the flannel pj's, since flannel tends to shrink up I personally would use cotton thread.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
I used to use Mettler silk finish, am changing over to Aurifil. Not inexpensive, but not too bad. I bought three spools yesterday @ $9/spool - but it's a 1,422 foot spool. If I'd wanted to wait, or needed a larger color selection, it's available for $7 from jhittle's (http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com/sewing/catalog.php)
As far as colors - I use cream, beige, grey or black, depending on main color in what I am piecing.
Ditto on the thread I use. Auriful also on ebay, it is so fine you get more on the bobbin, I now use this exclusivly for piecing all my quilts. I use whatever beige and a neutral khaki for most of my piecing. I keep white, and black on hand. It sinks into the fabric, much less lint. A spool will last 2-3 times as long as mettler silk finish.