Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread >

thread

thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 AM

everyone is talking about great thread. What great thread Let's have the name .
and where is can be purchased
carol :lol:
this site is the greatest
Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

All the brand names of thread are good threads. Superior, Guttermann, Aurifil, Sulky, Fil Tec, YLI, Isacord, Mettler, Signature, Star, WonderFil, Robison Anton, Essential, and some have a bad rep like Coats and Clark. Why? I don't know but many seem to not like that brand. It works fine for me in my machine. That's the key, to find a thread your machine likes and that fits your budget.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:20 PM

BellaBoo is right. There are lots of different threads; try them and find the right one for your machine. I have a Viking and it sews best with Coats & Clark thread. It seems to skip stitches with other brands.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:32 PM

I have a Janome that is very happy with Guttermann or Mettler.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 PM

For piecing, I like Essential from Connecting Threads. I have a Bernina & a Singer & have no problems using it.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 PM

I always use Essential from Connecting Threads too and I have a Janome. Works great and doesn't leave a lot of fuzz in the machine. Great for the wallet too.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:40 PM

I really like the new C&C Dual Duty XP threads. The older C&C thread had a backwards twist and in some machines this twist would shred and break. But the new XP thread is a forward twist and runs thru most machines wonderful.

IMHO, no matter the price of the thread, if you find a thread that works for you keep using it!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 PM

I use Coats and Clark. I can not afford to pay $11.00 for a spool of thread from the LQS.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:45 PM

I've used Coats and Clarks for sewing for years, but this weekend I was stitching on my most recent D9P and the upper thread kept breaking.. about the 3rd time I started checking
the broken end only to find a little "knot" at each break..
looks like there was a "slub" in the thread that would not go through the needle eye. Very disappointed. Changed to a spool of Mettler and had no more problems.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy
I've used Coats and Clarks for sewing for years, but this weekend I was stitching on my most recent D9P and the upper thread kept breaking.. about the 3rd time I started checking
the broken end only to find a little "knot" at each break..
looks like there was a "slub" in the thread that would not go through the needle eye. Very disappointed. Changed to a spool of Mettler and had no more problems.
Presencia thread is what I use for piecing...I really enjoy the absence of lent all over the top of my FW....and very, very little in the bobbin area could be attributed to this thread. However, I have had a problem with a knot in the thread...and it is a knot, not a slub...there was a quality control issue that has probably been addressed by now... and it was only the large spools. My FW didn't like it....can you imagine how my friend's high-end computerized machine felt about it?! Yes, two different spools...but they came from the same store so were likely the same production run...oh, they were the same color too. There's just no telling what the next strange thing is going to be, is there?