Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • thread >
  • thread

• thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:57 AM

for quilts,

sewing thread?
    the regular kind of thread or is there a special kind of thread to use?
    Old 07-29-2010, 05:39 AM
    Power Poster

I started with Coats and Clark but changed to Connecting Threads Essential thread. I like Essential thread better but the Coats and Clarks worked just fine too.
    Old 07-29-2010, 05:44 AM

there are many threads available that will work. Google "Superior Threads" to get some free educational videos on types of threads then you can decide for yourself what you want to use. There are short staple and long staple, variegated and solid color, cotton and poly and many other options. there are also threads that your machine will not like and you'll find those as you try different ones.
    Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 AM
    Power Poster

lots of different quilters use lots of different threads, some use cotton only, some poly (only) some blends, different weights, different brands no one thread is the (right thread) for me it depends on the project but it also depends on my machine...some very expensive, recommended 'machine quilting thread' does not work in my machine AT ALL! it breaks every couple inches, frays, tangles...what ever...so it has been a trial and error learning experience to find threads. what works for my best friend doesn't work for me at all...and vise-versa...i've never had any luck with invisible threads but some people use them all the time...
    i recently placed an order with Connecting Threads and so far have LOVED the cones i purchased, they are working oh so much better than anything else i've used...but i keep trying new when opportunity knocks looking for the perfect thread.
    Old 07-29-2010, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the information! I am learning a lot here!
    Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 PM

I had been using Coats & Clark Dual Duty to piece with and mainly used Coats & Clark machine quilting thread to quilt but after a lint ball got sucked up into my tension assembly, I started looking for other brands. There is nothing wrong with Coats & Clark but I'm tired of the lint. I've got several brands of quilting thread to try but am still looking for that perfect piecing thread. I'm leaning toward poly serger thread at this point. Please don't send the quilt police after me or if you do, make sure one of them is an Elna repair person & can get the lint out of my tension assembly if they force me to use cotton thread for piecing--LOL!