Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM

I use a lot of essentials from Connecting Threads. Its 1200 yards for $2.49. So a good buy. I also use lots of Marathon thread for thread painting. Superior threads is a great source too. I use a lot of king tut and rainbow for machine quilting
Old 11-05-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Originally Posted by libertykm
.Also, where do you get those fancy signatures to your posts.

libertykm
Go to this link:
http://www.mylivesignature.com/mls_wizard1_1.php
and follow the signature wizard instructions.
Once you get the signature you want, then choose 'want to use this signature'
then choose the 'generate BB code', then 'generate code for my hand written signature'. When the code is created, highlight it and copy it to the signature spot in your profile. Follow these instructions exactly.
Thanks, Kathy.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:26 PM

I've used the Connecting Threads thread and really like it, it isn't expensive, not real linty and strong. You can drop lots of money on thread if you want, but I wouldn't buy the cheapest either.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:40 PM

I've always been told that you should use cotton so the thread is the same strength as the quilt top. Poly is stronger so the fabric will eventually tear away at the seam line. I don't know if it's true since I don't have any quilts older than 10 years but it makes some sense to me!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:02 PM

The type of thread that use depends alot on what your machine likes.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:39 PM

I like Gutermann thread but it is very expensive. I am surprised no one here has mentioned this brand?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 PM

I have a question about thread. Is it really important that you use cotton thread when quilting? If so, what is the difference if you do use it. I'm a newbie and have a resource to get Polyester thread cheap. Cotton thread is so expensive. Also what does Mercerized mean and the numbers that look like this "Size 50/3". What is good and what is bad. What will happen if I use polyester instead of cotton on my quilt. Thanks for all your input.

Also, where do you get those fancy signatures to your posts.

libertykm
Eventually, the polyester will cut through the cotton thread and it will come apart. It will take many years for this to happen, so you should assess the cost vs risk for yourself. I personally find that the cotton thread sews more smoothly throught the cotton fabric. The polyester thread tends to catch and sometimes stretches a bit. I feel reassured that I can iron the cotton thread at high heat - although most clothing is done in the poly thread and we have no major problems generally...
Here's the answer to the mercerised thread query:
Mercerisation is a treatment for cotton fabric and thread that gives fabric a lustrous appearance. The process is applied to materials like cotton or hemp.
The process was devised in 1844 by John Mercer of Great Harwood, Lancashire, England, who treated cotton fibres with sodium hydroxide. The treatment caused the fibres to swell, which in Mercer's version of the process shrank the overall fabric size and made it stronger and easier to dye. The process did not become popular, however, until H. A. Lowe improved it into its modern form in 1890. By holding the cotton during treatment to prevent it from shrinking, Lowe found that the fibre gained a lustrous appearance.[1][2] Mercerisation alters the chemical structure of the cotton fibre. The structure of the fibre inter-converts from alpha-cellulose to a thermodynamically more favourable beta-cellulose polymorph. Mercerising results in the swelling of the cell wall of the cotton fibre. This causes increases in the surface area and reflectance, and gives the fibre a softer feel.[3]
The modern production method for mercerised cotton, also known as "pearl" or "pearle" cotton, gives cotton thread (or cotton-covered thread with a polyester core) a sodium hydroxide bath that is then neutralized with an acid bath. This treatment increases lustre, strength, affinity to dye, resistance to mildew, but also increases affinity to lint. Cotton with long staple fibre lengths responds best to mercerisation. Mercerised thread is commonly used to produce fine crochet.

A good source to find out about thread is to go to the Superior Threads website and look at the 'threadology' videos.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingLee
lets see now
Try getting the code for message boards. It should have some brackets like this: [ and this: ] and some letters and such. The code you got is for html.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:27 AM

I tried name download hope it worked, we'll see.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
.Also, where do you get those fancy signatures to your posts.

libertykm
Go to this link:
http://www.mylivesignature.com/mls_wizard1_1.php
and follow the signature wizard instructions.
Once you get the signature you want, then choose 'want to use this signature'
then choose the 'generate BB code', then 'generate code for my hand written signature'. When the code is created, highlight it and copy it to the signature spot in your profile. Follow these instructions exactly.
Thanks! Ive been wondering the same thing. :D