Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
6600 here too and I use Superior Threads for quilting- King Tut, Masterpiece, Bottom Line in the bobbin (sometimes for quilting too!) I use YLI 60 wt for piecing, sometimes Aurifil 50 wt. Except the BL, all 100% cotton extra long staple fibres - to my mind, it's not worth the hassle to use cheaper threads plus the lint can shorten the life of your machine and/or increase your servicing requirements so is a false economy.
So where do you people find your King Tut and Aurifil thread? I don't have any stores here that carry it and haven't seen it on any of my websites. I am going to try Connecting Threads thread after I am off my "spending diet".
Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 AM

Aurifil is great and you get alot on one spool of thread. I use the 40 weight for piecing and 28 for quilting. www.thatthreadplace.com
Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I find Janome machines thread snobs. Try Aurafill both in the bobbin and top thread of your machine. I also use a 14 top stitch needle. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterella
I have both the Janome 6500 & 6600, and neither of them like Gutterman or Coats&Clark. Mettler & Aurafil(when I can find it) is all I use. Janomes are wonderful machines but they can be finicky.
I have several Janomes but my main one is the 6500 and I find the same.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:56 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by k3n
6600 here too and I use Superior Threads for quilting- King Tut, Masterpiece, Bottom Line in the bobbin (sometimes for quilting too!) I use YLI 60 wt for piecing, sometimes Aurifil 50 wt. Except the BL, all 100% cotton extra long staple fibres - to my mind, it's not worth the hassle to use cheaper threads plus the lint can shorten the life of your machine and/or increase your servicing requirements so is a false economy.
So where do you people find your King Tut and Aurifil thread? I don't have any stores here that carry it and haven't seen it on any of my websites. I am going to try Connecting Threads thread after I am off my "spending diet".
I'm in England and buy online either from Crafty Quilter or Barnyarns but you must be able to get it in the States as it's a US company! Like the reference to Janome being a thread snob! Oh, yes she is but I wouldn't swap her all the same!
:mrgreen:
Old 11-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Some machines are persnickety whith certain brands. Try the different types and see what your machine likes. (You already know what she doesn't). I use Connecting Thread thread, Star thread (from C&C) and assorted fancy threads. So far - no problems.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17
I am having trouble with the thread separating and breaking while doing FM. Using Janome 7700, Coats and Clark machine quilting thread size 14 needle. Also with C&C Dual Duty Plus thread. The machine wont stitch consistantly. sometimes wont catch at all. Cotton Machine Quilting thread is better. I am stressed.
Dealer today said bring her back Sunday and they will clean the machine and check it. No repair person on site today. Until then she gave me a spool of Mettler thread and some quilting needles by Schmetz. Thanks for all your advice. I did take notice of 547 yds. per spool vs 325 for C&C so pricing is not that different for a better product.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:48 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I am having trouble with the thread separating and breaking while doing FM. Using Janome 7700, Coats and Clark machine quilting thread size 14 needle. Also with C&C Dual Duty Plus thread. The machine wont stitch consistantly. sometimes wont catch at all. Cotton Machine Quilting thread is better. I am stressed.
Dealer today said bring her back Sunday and they will clean the machine and check it. No repair person on site today. Until then she gave me a spool of Mettler thread and some quilting needles by Schmetz. Thanks for all your advice. I did take notice of 547 yds. per spool vs 325 for C&C so pricing is not that different for a better product.
My Janome prefers Schmetz too. :-D
Old 11-24-2010, 11:51 AM

[ Like the reference to Janome being a thread snob! Oh, yes she is but I wouldn't swap her all the same!
:mrgreen:[/quote]

They may be thread snobs,but, I wouldn't trade either in. However, I do have problems getting Aurafil...haven't found a Quilt Shop that carries it since I closed mine about 3 years ago.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:05 PM

I have a Janome Platinum 760 and a Pfaff Creative Vision. They both work just fine with any kind of thread I put in them. I do clean out the bobbin case after each bobbin. I don't have any more lint with C & C than I do with Aurifil. So far, the best is Connecting Threads. I use it most of the time, unless I need a particular color that they don't have.