Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread >

thread

thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 PM

i have rayon embroidery thread that is at least 30 yrs old and it still sews perfectly. i store it in a drawer so its not exposed to any sun light. so much for the myth about old thread.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 PM

I too, use my own old thread for appliqué when it matches. Most pieces get quilted down anyway, so the greatest stress is washing. It's okay for piecing, too, on less labor intensive or expensive projects. Most seams don't get as stressed as the quilting lines. But the Mettler I've been using lately is so much less linty. I've been reading up on thread on this board as I get into machine quilting and improve my techniques all around, so I just placed an Aurifil order from Tristan Threads in Canada on a tip from Candace from this board. GREAT prices on set compared to my sewing machine dealer. I WISH I had a local QS that deserved to have me overpay for thread, but the two LQS I go to haven't earned that level of loyalty from me yet.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:14 PM

I put the wooden spools into one of my vases...it looks so nice with all the pretty colors of vintage thread.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:55 PM

For those who have thread on those wonderful wooden spools and might be hesitant to use it...
consider it a "collectable". If you really don't want to keep it, check the internet for collectors.
:thumbup:
Old 01-23-2011, 03:35 AM

I have my own collection of thread, some of my mother's and some of my own. I too put some of her wooden spools in a jar for a lamp, and the rest I keep around mostly for mending and sewing on buttons. Sometimes it can be difficult to find just the right color and my 'stash' of thread has come to the rescue.
Long hard stitching requires good thread, for that I would stick to newer stuff.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:46 AM

The only thread I've had problems with is the newer cheapie stuff from the dollar store that is made with really short fibers. The older thread and the higher quality new thread works great.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 AM

I still have lots of Coats and Clark thread left over from when I started sewing 60 years ago. I use it for hand sewing such as basting and sewing in hems. I do not use it in my Bernina; but do use it in my old Kenmore.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 AM

I have been thinking these same thoughts for yrs but never shared them because some don't mind spending money to buy new.

Originally Posted by Maia B
I don't quite believe the "don't use old thread" rule is valid. I mean, if the thread was stored away from dust and direct sunlight, what's the problem?Maybe not for a show quilt. If the thread sewn into our clothes can endure the stress of wearing, seams getting pulled on when we sit etc, temperature changes from heated indoors to frigid outdoors, and WASHING (with hot and cold water and detergent) and DRYING, then why would thread that's been resting peacefully in box or drawer for years crumble? Most of the time, clothes become unwearable due to stains or wear of the fabric, not the seams. And most of our clothes are hardly couture with the finest thread. I don't think clothes sold at Target have fancy thread in them. So I'm gonna keep using my own thread stash for everything but my finest projects (and those too for appliqué). I suspect some of that "old thread is bad" argument is intended to push us to buy more thread.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:34 PM

I use it for hand basting.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by pjaco
Sweet !! I love homemade ornaments. Thanks for the feedback !
Originally Posted by toomanycats
here is an idea for leftover spools my aunt and I did one summer I was visiting. she would go to salvation army or good will or yard sales and pick up costume jewelery then take it apart for the gems...then we would take ribbon and cover the middle of the spools or can paint them. we then would take pieces of the jewelery and glue it onto that to make a design. thread a ribbon through with a bead on the end to keep from pulling through and we would have christmas ornaments.
too many cats: Do you have a picture of those ornaments?