Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Type >

Thread Type

Thread Type

Old 02-12-2011, 07:53 AM

All of the brands mentioned are good, quality threads. Everyone will have their specific preferences, it is worth trying a few to see what works best for you and your machine. Definitely avoid the Coats and Clark, Talon, and others of that quality, nothing but aggravation IMHO. Be sure to get some topstitch needles for some of the quilting threads (King Tut, for example), it will make a difference in how smoothly the thread feeds. Have fun!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I have used coats and clark for all my sewing and most of my quilting with no problems to any of my machines. I guess see what you and your machine like best.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I think most threads work in most machines. The reason I finally decided to try Aurifil is because I had heard it leaves almost no lint behind. This means less frequent need to clean the machine, and also it's better for my (beloved, getting old like me) machine.

Another benefit is that the 50wt I use is thinner than regular sewing thread. What I am noticing is that this allows my seams to press flatter with less "roll" uptake in the seam (meaning the "scant" in my scant 1/4" seam is less now; I am closer to a full 1/4" ). These differences are subtle and won't matter to some people, but it's a definite benefit in my eyes.

For quilting, I am liking the look of variegated Aurifil 50wt when used with a decorative stitch. For plain quilting stitches, I'm thinking the 40wt might be better.

I used to use Mettler silk finish exclusively, for years. The higher quality threads like Mettler are supposed to be made with longer staple cotton, meaning they shred less and are smoother (not fuzzy). I could tell the difference between Mettler and Coats & Clark; I would say there is at least this much difference again between Mettler and Aurifil. So, as you can see from my rambling on here, I'm a convert to Aurifil. :D

I think the question isn't whether certain threads will work or not; most all of them work in most all machines. It gets down to questions about refinement and what matters to you personally as a quilter. In the end, a wonderful quilt isn't dependent on thread brand choice.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

I am devoted to Bottom Line 60wt poly; it's a bobbin thread but I use it for virtually everything: hand piecing, hand applique, machine piecing, machine and hand quilting.
Always in the bobbin regardless of which machine I'm using.
http://www.superiorthreads.com
My Jems don't take it on top, so I use Aurifil 50wt cotton; it's a great machine piecing thread, because like Bottom Line it really irons seams flat.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Coats and Clark for machine quilting and crafting - whether I'm using my machine or hand stitching. Not much lint, strong, and my bobbin doesn't jam when I'm getting low on thread like so many other brands do.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:45 PM

I use Superior So Fine for piecing and Mettler Silk Finish with Superior Bottom Line for quilting.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
Gutterman and Sulky. My Janome dealer told me not to use Coats & Clark. The thread weight is inconsistent and can ruin the tension.
Wow. I'm glad my dealer didn't tell me that. C&C is all I've ever used!
Old 02-12-2011, 05:52 PM

I buy thread from Connecting Threads online. Great deals on spool sets and great prices. I have several spools and not disappointed at all. Go online and ask for a catalog. They have some really nice stuff.