Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread, what kind and why? >

thread, what kind and why?

thread, what kind and why?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Default thread, what kind and why?

I just bought some thread yesterday for a quilt and I went to use it tonite, I got polyester blend. I usually like cotton. What kind do you use and why? Where do you buy it? I think I am returning them, about 20 spools. Unless I hear from someone else why I should keep it. I am so confused on the quality of threads and what to use. Maybe others are too.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

A lot of it is simply personal preference.

By means of trial and error, so far my favorite thread for piecing is Aurifil 50wt 2-ply. I actually also like this thread a *lot* for machine quilting on my domestic machine. My midarm frame setup thinks this thread is too weak. So far, my favorite thread for the midarm frame is Glide thread (a trilobal polyester).

Many quilters like King Tut thread (all cotton) for quilting. I tried it, but really don't like it for my style of quilting.

I am wondering, though, how big your quilt is. I cannot imagine using 20 spools of thread on a single quilt, and I quilt closely. Maybe you should try out one spool on a sample quilt sandwich to make sure you like it.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

I use all kinds of thread. I like 60 weight or higher poly for the bobbin. I have Aurifil, Superior, YLI, Mettler, Guttermann,
Connecting Threads, WonderFill, Robison-Anton, Sulky, Presencia, Fil-Tec (Glide) and probably a few others. The right size needle for the weight of thread is more important then what kind or brand you use.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:07 PM

I thought polyester threads cuts into your material over time, that we shouldn't use it? Is this a myth? My quilt is a queen size and I do over buy when i buy thread as I can't run for a spool or two into town if I run short. Is poly ok to quilt with or a blend? Do I need just 100% cotton?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 PM

Cotton is recommended for quilts because polyester cuts the fibers of your quilt over time. Even if you purchased cotton-wrapped polyester, I've read where the outer covering of cotton wears down over time, exposing the polyester core which then works like a saw on the cotton fibers of your quilt.

I like Presencia 50-weight, King Tut 40-weight (they have a wonderful selection of variegated) and 30-weight Sulky for machine quilting, all of which are 100 percent cotton.

I use Presencia 60-weight for piecing.

The Presencia brand is a 3-ply thread, both 50- and 60-weight, whereas brands like Mettler are only 2-ply (not as strong). All or some of these brands should be available at your local quilt store. If not, there are plenty of online sources.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
I thought polyester threads cuts into your material over time, that we shouldn't use it? Is this a myth? My quilt is a queen size and I do over buy when i buy thread as I can't run for a spool or two into town if I run short. Is poly ok to quilt with or a blend? Do I need just 100% cotton?
Yes it's a myth. Polyester thread is excellent for most sewing. If it would cut your quilt, the cheap poly thread used to make 100% cotton t-shirts would cut the t-shirts.

Use the thread that you can afford and enjoy using. If you bought the thread because you thought it was good, it probably is. I've used poly-cotton for many, many years and my quilts are fine. And I abuse my quilts. I would rather spend my money on retirement, travel, or fabric than expensive thread.

Or use some of the thread you already bought and buy some other threads to try. Experiment. Decide for yourself what you like to use. Most threads will be fine for your quilts.

15 years ago everyone had to have Rowenta irons. These days people are choosey about thread. The $25 cone of thread is a recent phenomenon. What's next? I don't know. This is an interesting article on what I've talked about here. http://andsewitgoes.blogspot.com/201...ut-thread.html. Look at the quilts this woman does. And she is puzzled about the emphasis on thread. As long as you aren't buying 20 cents a spool thread, you're probably fine. And even that thread might be fine. Thread is no big deal.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 PM

yeah...i don't get worked up about thread for piecing. i usually use guterman because it's easy to find and plentiful. someone posted a blog about the true cost of thread though, and aurifil actually came out to be cheaper in the long run.

i do like to experiment with threads for quilting. i like the king tut threads for some projects, but they are seem pricey and i find them thick. i have also played with the guterman varigated threads and am somewhat underwhelmed. i don't like having to run out thread to match a colour if i make a mistake, and murphy's laws proves you always end up joining a white run to a dark run it seems, so to my eye the mistake is noticable.

for handquilting - i struggled with perle cottons, though some advice here suggested a different needle would have helped and i loved the way the work looked with them. i LOVE yli handquilting thread, yet do not like guterman hand quilting threads AT ALL.

iwill never ever use mettler threads again. ever.

coats and clark seem linty. don't know why that is, really.

but for piecing i have ceased to even worry much about the colours

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 04-16-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:32 PM

As other posters have said, it's personal preference and yes, polyester 'cutting through' fabric is indeed a myth as discussed on the Superior website here.

Archaic Arcane did the price comparison on her blog here which will surprise some people.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:56 AM
Power Poster

a number of years ago people also said silk thread would cut your fibers & should not be used---those are myths & who knows where those *thoughts* come from...polyester thread will not damage your 'fibers' and is used a lot in the quilting/sewing world. polyester is a good strong thread, color fast, does not shrink and often is the choice of many long-arm quilters because many cotton threads are not able to stand up to the high speed machine. polyester is lint free (cotton thread can create a HUGE amount of lint) so, if the thread is the right color, weight, and you want to use it- go right ahead. also, visit the website for Superior Threads- there you can find *free* charts you can print off that tells you about all the different kinds of threads- what they are best used for- and what needles to use with them...it's a great resource.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 AM

Another that doesn't worry about thread content or manufacturers. At least not too much. Only sort of for my hand-quilting thread. And even then, color is usually more important to me. For piecing, I don't really give a fig what it is as long as it's close to the color I need. Even that's not too important depending on the fabric colors! Buy what you can afford. Take some notes if you think you'd like as to what you've used and how linty, etc. Trust me, you're not really going to remember when you next buy thread as to what your machine liked best, you like best, etc. Otherwise, just have fun.