Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threads >

Threads

Threads

Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I like Aurifil 50wt 2-ply for piecing. The reasons are several. It is a finer weight than regular thread, so my bobbin holds much more of it making bobbin changes less frequent. The fineness of this thread makes for a very flat and accurate scant 1/4" seam for me. It is not linty, so I have to clean out the bobbin area less frequently. A spool lasts a long time.

I like the same thread for quilting on my DSM. Some quilters move to Aurifil 50wt 3-ply for this because it is stronger.

You can certainly mix threads when sewing blocks. My only caution is to make sure you are using the same weight and ply of thread. Most thread is 50wt 3-ply. They will all wash okay.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I like Aurifil 50wt 2-ply for piecing. The reasons are several. It is a finer weight than regular thread, so my bobbin holds much more of it making bobbin changes less frequent. The fineness of this thread makes for a very flat and accurate scant 1/4" seam for me. It is not linty, so I have to clean out the bobbin area less frequently. A spool lasts a long time.
I use Aurifil for all of my piecing for these reasons and buy it on cones.

For quilting my machine isn't picky and I mix threads on the top and bobbin all the time.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I always try one spool of any brand of thread I haven't used before. Then I know when I find a good sale price of any of them if I want to buy or not. I have a spool of about every brand of thread there is so it doesn't really matter to me. They are all good brands and good thread. Any 50 wt 2 ply or 60wt will give you a thin flat seam. I go by wt. and ply and the right size needle to fit the thread. For bobbin thread I use at least a 70 wt or higher on the biggest cone I can find. Usually Aurifil which is cotton mako thread. I bought a cone of Aurifil black bobbin thread, 80wt 17,000M for $18. It is thin enough the black works great in the bobbin with all med to dark fabrics.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:40 PM

I agree, thread is thread is thread. I have used them all and my machines (Singers and Juki's) work fine with any of them. I have however been using Wonderfil/Invisifil thread recommended by someone else on this board. It's 100 wt polyester thread. You get a ton of it on the bobbin (less bobbin refills) and takes up less space in the seams so a better 1/4 inch seam for me!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 AM

I like connecting threads. I had to buy a spool stand (yea, I could have made one but the CT ones were so pretty and when I try to cut corners, I regret it). It is relatively inexpensive and comes in a variety of colors. I am not constantly replacing the thread and it is of good quality. I tried poly thread because I heard how wonderful it was and it didn't work for me. Btw, people say CT is linty. I clean my bobbin area after I replace the bobbin 2x.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

(yea, I could have made one but the CT ones were so pretty and when I try to cut corners, I regret it)
My way of thinking too!