Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Throws and lap quilts >

Throws and lap quilts

Throws and lap quilts

Old 02-24-2017, 09:20 AM

Default Throws and lap quilts

I am not sure of the size difference between lap quilts and throws. I would assume a lap quilt is smaller. Is there a best size for lap quilts and throws?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:29 AM

Depends on the intended use. For instance, a lap quilt for a person in a wheelchair would probably be made narrower than normal. Same goes for a throw - I'd make a smaller one for my mom, and a larger one for my husband, who is a foot taller.

I just did a google search and found one quilt designer who showed a size chart for all her patterns. She had king, queen, full, twin, lap, youth, and baby, with the corresponding finished sizes. The interesting thing is the sizes all varied, there wasn't much standardization. For instance, her lap quilt designs ranged from 49"x61" to 60"x60", which tells me she thinks more about the quilt design than the size.

I think lap quilts tend to be smaller and square, while throws could be larger and rectangular. Just my wild guess.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:11 PM

When I make what I call a "snuggle quilt" - my definition of one that would be used when lounging around watching tv or curled up on a chair reading - would be wide enough to tuck in around the sides and long enough to tuck under your feet at the bottom and come right up under your chin with some "wriggle" room would of course depend on the size of the person who it is being made for.

In other words I "custom" size those quilts rather than just picking a standard bed size.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by busy fingers View Post
When I make what I call a "snuggle quilt" - my definition of one that would be used when lounging around watching tv or curled up on a chair reading - would be wide enough to tuck in around the sides and long enough to tuck under your feet at the bottom and come right up under your chin with some "wriggle" room would of course depend on the size of the person who it is being made for.

In other words I "custom" size those quilts rather than just picking a standard bed size.
That's a perfect definition of a 'snuggle quilt' in my opinion! But in lieu of 'customizing' for each person, for the purpose above, I'd probably go with a twin bed size.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:01 PM

If you're making a quilt out of blocks of one kind or another, the block size will have significant influence on the dimensions of your quilt. You have control over how many blocks you include and in what configuration, of course.

IMHO, any quilt smaller than (or maybe equal to) a twin bed size can be called a lap or throw quilt, depending on how it's used. (A baby quilt, however, would definitely be smaller than a twin bed size.) I wouldn't worry too much about what the "quilt police" might think. Make your quilts lap/throw quilts to whatever size you like. Or customize them according to the needs of the recipient.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:44 AM

I rarely make a quilt or lap quilt the size they claim it to be. I like over sized lap plus it depends on whom its for so if they're taller I make sure the lap quilt is longer for them. The bed quilts it depends on whether they want it to hit the floor or so much off the floor. I try to match the recipent's wish.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I am not sure of the size difference between lap quilts and throws.
I thought these were different terms for the same thing, but maybe there's some nuance I'm missing?