Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
TILE hotpad pattern... >

TILE hotpad pattern...

TILE hotpad pattern...

Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 AM

I saw a hotpad the other day that had a quilted outside "envelope" with a ceramic tile inside...any idea where I can find a pattern?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 AM
np3
Power Poster

Did you take a picture? I try to do that when it is something unique. Then I can search for it easier. And since I am getting older, I tend to forget!!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 AM

I didn't take a picture...but can't remember how the back was done. There was an opening so the tile could be inserted and it was also stitched all around the outside edge.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:06 AM

These instructions are for a square potholder. If using tile the size should be 1 Inch larger than tile

Make front of pot holder as you want . Layer in this order: 1 LW batting ,1 insul bright, quilt as desired,pin the hanger (if desired) making sure pin is not is SA,

Cut 2 pieces for back of potholder. Hem one end (this will be the one that tile will go in. Serge (cutting off 1/2")the second back on one end.

Layer FRONT of PH face up with top of PH at top. Next place hemmed back face down, with raw edges even at top. Next place serged back face down with raw edge even at bottom. (Note the 2 backs are shorter than front and are layer so the short ends are opposite each other) Pin making sure pins are not in seam allowance. Serge or sew all around potholder without leaving an opening. Remove pins and turn twice.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM

I think I am visualizing this correctly but just to make sure...when you are looking at the finished back....is there an opening where the "finished" edge is just below the topstitched edge of the potholder? and then the tile slips in without actually being enclosed? Sorry I am having such a problem understanding this...I really do a lot of crafting but my memory was on OVERLOAD as we were on vacation!!!!! when I saw the project.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:35 AM

yes you are correct, the hemmed back is the pocket for your hand or a tile. Also the serged back piece is below the top seam but can't be seen.

Saw this on Sewing with Nancy show. Now we all make these because it only takes 10 min. We use up embroidery samples,scraps, blocks that we've made but not liked.

Will confess I keep one on hand and turn it outside so I can remember how. Once I see it - I remember.LOL
Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 PM

These sound really cool and I would love to make one of these, but I am a visual person. Without a picture I can not visualize what it is suppose to look like and how to make one. Is the tile visible or is it just sandwiched between the layers of the pot holder? HELP!! :-)
Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Suuny; I think I understand--will give this a try as I have several old tiles I use all the time on my table. Would make great stocking stuffer or Secret Santa gifts at Christmas time.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM

Tile is not visable and it doesn't have to be used. Tile is put in a pkt on the back of potholder. It looks much like a pkt on the outside of purse. If you don't want to use the tile you stick you hand in it,
Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 AM

If you have not found the website for the pattern,
I was searching this board for the same thing, thinking that
I had seen it here. So anyway, the link to the pattern:
She calls them: Tuxedo Tiles. Http://moosestashquilting.
blogspot.com If you go to the sidebar to the tutorial
section, Tiles. Hope that this what you were looking for,
took me a bit and a lot of different searches to finally retrace my steps to find my way back to this site. Enjoy!