Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Time? >

Time?

Time?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 AM

I see all of the beautiful quilts everyone on here makes and I'm overwhelmed. I find that I don't have enough time in the day to be Mom, Wife, Teacher, Homemaker, Cook, etc.
Where do you all find the time or make the time to work on quilts?
My only real time is Saturday mornings. I like baby quilts the best because they go faster and I feel like I'm accomplishing something.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

My major sewing time is between 7:30 and 9am. The teenagers are off to school and my 4yr. old gets up around 9. I'm a stay at home Mom so my time is flexable. I also can sit for 10 minutes at a time here and there thru out the day. It's amazing what you can get done in 10 minutes if your project is sitting near the machine. Sometimes this board gets in the way. LOL!!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 AM

I don't have much time either so what I do is pick easy patterns and busy fabric. The results are usually more complicated looking than they really were. When I do have spare time (rarely), I like to cut up a few projects and store them either in ziploc bags or bins so that when I'm ready to sew, I can get right to it.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

i keep hand projects going so i have travel projects to work on during breaks at work, waiting at appointments or riding in the car. i get up at 4:30 am and have an hour to sew...then take a shower and go to work...get home about 3:30-4 o'clock...sew until 5; make dinner, eat, clean up kitchen then go sew until 7:30...go out watch jeopardy with hubby, give the cat his treats and go back to sewing until 9...on the weekends i can sew pretty much all day, with breaks...i do have to figure out sewing time vs quilting time-of course...being here is always cutting into sewing time...but sometimes it is necessary :)
Old 02-15-2011, 05:42 AM

i too have a very busy schedule but i make a point of finding time for myself every day even if its just an hour or 2.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:55 AM

I decided to do my Dear Jane BOM by hand so I can piece when the rest of the world is asleep. I get up at 5 am to get the dog feed etc. and after I get ready for work I pick up my hand piecing and work on it until its time to leave for work. I can also take it to work and work on it during lunch or take it with me if I have to travel. On the weekends I try to work on my sewing machine projects. I work full time and we have a farm to it takes me forever to get anything done. I'm surprised by how much I can get done just by doing 15 min. or so a day.

Susan
Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 AM

Many years ago I purchased a book by Nancy Zieman called "10,20,30 minutes to sew" It breaks down your projects into small sections that can be worked on in small spans of time. While I don't usually hand piece or applique I do handquilt and hand finish my bindings etc. I can do those tasks while enjoying TV or even a conversation with my husband or family. When I have larger blocks of time I organize my projects into smaller steps that can be done in odd moments. It really helps if you have a place to leave your sewing machine or whatever set up and ready to go at any spare moment. I do the same for reading. I always have a book handy for killing time in waiting rooms and durring a solitary lunch etc. YOu could also do the same with a hand sewing or quilting project.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 AM

I'm retired now so I can find time to quilt; however, I worked many years, raised a family, finished two college degrees, and followed a 15-minute rule. Even if I could find only 15 minutes in my schedule, I used that to sew or read or do something for myself. It might not sound possible, but even in 15 minute segments projects can be completed.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 AM

Got off of the computer yesterday, and found time to work on a quilt. YaY!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:07 AM

I'm a mom, wife, high school teacher, translator, cook, cleaner.. and I try to make time at least 15 minutes to half an hour every other day. Sometimes that stupid laundry just needs to be done. Or the dishes.