Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: time to talk about safety

It is very frustrating being a crafter and only able to use 1 hand,lol. I may have to get a good book.I am not one to watch tv too much either.maybe watch some quilters on youtube to fill the time.I had quilted a few baby quilts --now they will not get their binding for a long time.well just be very careful and do not get hurt.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

So sorry to hear about this...hope you find some fun things that you can fill your time with.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Oh, that's so sad. But it could have been worse, so we have to take our blessings where we find them! I jumped off a chair the week before my daughter's wedding and scraped my leg just below the knee. I had a huge, lovely bruise for the wedding. That was June 30th... and I still have a small bruise and it still hurts to touch! Hopefully it will be gone before shorts season rolls around again.

Sorry about the wrist, heal quickly!
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Hope you're feeling better!!
    I'll add another safety reminder. Lock your rotary blades if you have little ones over. My 3 year old grandson helped himself yesterday and although it was only a cut to 1 finger, it looked as if someone had commited a murder. *worst grandma award goes right here*

Quote Originally Posted by ayellowrose View Post
    Hope you're feeling better!!
    I'll add another safety reminder. Lock your rotary blades if you have little ones over. My 3 year old grandson helped himself yesterday and although it was only a cut to 1 finger, it looked as if someone had commited a murder. *worst grandma award goes right here*
    No--not worst grandma. Little ones always get into something they shouldn't. Besides, fingers always bleed a LOT. I used to do stained glass & the way my fingers/hands bled, you would've thought I was trying to commit suicide. lol

Well, hurry up and get well! I think about this whenever I stand on a chair. Thankfully we inherited a nice step stool from some friends and I can use that--much more sturdy than any chair in the house! There are times, however, that I am tempted to not go get it.

Blog Entries
    Like red quilter I had a bone removed from my wrist and it takes time after plaster to get all the movement and strength back. Good luck and keep coming to this site for enjoyment.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry to hear this.
    Get well soon!
    Happy Quilting.

Oh that is awful! Is it your "useful" hand? I hope you recover quickly and completely!

Alison

Blog Entries
    I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry to hear about your bad luck. Thanks for the reminder that chairs are for sitting, not standing on! We all need to have good step-stools.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry to hear about your bad luck. Thanks for the reminder that chairs are for sitting, not standing on! We all need to have good step-stools.
    And remember while you're up there on that ladder not to try to pull down things that are too heavy for you. Ask me how I know... Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery and without too much sewing withdrawal!
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Quote Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
    do not do what I did.I was standing on a chair in my fabric room-rearranging and fell off the chair-ouch-and broke my wrist.4-6 weeks in a cast and maybe even a pinning to go thru.So please do not stand on a chair.If this can help at least 1 person to be more careful that will be great.do not do what I did----please
    I keep two step stools----------one a bit taller than the other in my house at all times. I can't afford to fall.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Oh, no. I am so sorry to hear about your accident. How awful! Prayers for a speedy recovery.
    A few days ago I also had a chair accident, but I was sitting down! I leaned over to reach for something and the wheeled office chair went out from under me and I took all the weight on my wrist and forearm. The truth is, chairs are dangerous. We should all sit on the floor!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    Prayers for a speedy, surgery-free recovery!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    Soooorry this happened to all of you. I just love getting up and hitting this blog. You all give me such inspiration and creative juices start to flow.

I have another suggestion from my broken leg. Never walk into a dark room. HEAVEN knows where the cats are and the stuff you dropped the last time you came through there. Always turn on a light and fix your house so you have two places to turn on and turn off the lights....... at the top of the stairs and at the bottom. I'm so unstable that I only take the stairs with the big banister.

Yes, lets keep it together and be safe.

Battle Axe
    aka Marcia

It's amazing how we think we're Superwoman!! I am guilty of jumping up on flimsy chairs in the past and have had too many close calls. I now have a good, solid 3-step folding ladder with wide steps that is always handy for those high-reaching shelves. Please be careful, everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Oh, no. I am so sorry to hear about your accident. How awful! Prayers for a speedy recovery.
    A few days ago I also had a chair accident, but I was sitting down! I leaned over to reach for something and the wheeled office chair went out from under me and I took all the weight on my wrist and forearm. The truth is, chairs are dangerous. We should all sit on the floor!
    lol,I need help getting up from the floor most of the time.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    OUCH! Heal quickly, well, and without pinning! (I mean wrist pinning, not sewing pinning! LOL)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    How terrible. Thank you for reminding us all to play it safe.

Hope you heal quickly and don't need the surgery to put in pins. I finally broke down and got a little step ladder (kitchen one with 2 steps) and it works great. Folds up easily and I keep it in the same place all the time where it is out of the way but easy to get. Took me a while to learn to use it but I finally did. Take care and hope you are back to quilting soon.

So sorry about your broken wrist, but it could have been worse. I know a lady who was standing on a chair in her kitchen and fell and broke her BACK, She now has 5 or 6 pins in her back and almost a year later in still in lots of pain.

So please people use those chairs for sitting on, not standing on. I have one of those sturdy 2 step stepladders in my sewing room.

So sorry that you were injured. Thanks for the warning for the rest of us. I do sometimes use a chair when my step stool is not handy...l'll have to rethink that, for sure!!

Oh my, I am so sorry to hear this. Wishing you a speedy recovery! Be sure to treat your recuperation time as an opportunity to get some serious relaxing time. Take care.

Ouchie, that's gotta hurt. (((((((((((((((Wolfie)))))))))))))))))))))) to make it better

Power Poster
    I'm sorry for your pain, taking any fall can be frustrating, especially when you break any part of your body. Just try to take it day by day, one hour at a time if you have to. I fell in Feb., ruptured a C -4 -5 disc in my neck, became paralyzed for a relatively short period of time (all relative-some days lasted forever), had surgery, then spent 5 months in rehab re-learning how to use my hands and learning how to walk all over again. Hang in there - there is light at the end of the tunnel and it's great when you get there. Hope you feel better very soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast