Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Timeless Treasures flannel >

Timeless Treasures flannel

Timeless Treasures flannel

Old 10-10-2018, 08:21 AM

Default Timeless Treasures flannel

I was at one of my seldom visited outlet stores on Monday. They had some Timeless Treasures flannel that was what I've seen called "grunge" print in various colors. They also had another pattern that was dotted, but very faint, in various colors (both pretty much read as a solid). I think it was 45" wide or thereabouts. It was $5.00 per yard. I ended up picking something else for backing my quilt.

It seemed to be really nice fabric, but I've never used flannel. I think I remember that TT flannel was mentioned as a great fabric in a recent post. I tried looking up TT flannel grunge on the web, but got no hits. Something that looked similar, called TT Jazz, came up on Amazon for $4.99. Other TT flannels in bright prints are going for regular quilt shop prices. Now, I'm trying to decide if it's worth going back for.

How do you judge flannel quality while it's still on the bolt?

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 10-10-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-2018, 08:53 AM

beyond checking the weave, I have no clue.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I check to see if it is single or double sided ( single sided is only soft/ brushed on one side, flat looking on others side) and often is thin with a loose weave. Most double sided flannels feel much more substantial are brushed on both sides are heavier & nicer
Old 10-10-2018, 01:15 PM

I use flannel frequently to back quilts, I just make sure I wash it a couple times first. Timeless
Treasures is a good name brand, although it is Moda that makes the Grunge fabric.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bjbaxter View Post
I use flannel frequently to back quilts, I just make sure I wash it a couple times first. Timeless
Treasures is a good name brand, although it is Moda that makes the Grunge fabric.
Thanks, when I bought some P&B fabric that had that look at the quilt shop a few months ago, I asked if that was "grunge" and they said yes.

So what is every other manufacturer calling that print (or fabric style)?

bkay
Old 10-11-2018, 09:28 AM

Thank you, ckcowl! I did not realize that there were different types of flannel. Unfortunately, buying on line, unless you are able to ask the sellers, could be a problem. I have in the past had an issue with a flannel (that I now know was only brushed on one side) on a QAYG project. I backed each block, FMQed them and then sewed them together. The flannel, which I purchased from a quilting site (don't remember which one) literally shredded at the seams. I had to put a new back on the quilt. I used Shannon Minky and then FMQed it in place.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Pleasant Valley quilting shop in Armstrong, BC, Canada, sells the very best flannel, you might want to email Klia the shop owner and she may be able to help you find the quality flannel that she sells in her shop. Everyone goes to her shop to purchase her flannel, as she has quality flannel.

Her email is: [email protected]