Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
TinLizzie or HQ Sweet Sixteen >

TinLizzie or HQ Sweet Sixteen

TinLizzie or HQ Sweet Sixteen

Old 03-19-2015, 09:34 AM

Default TinLizzie or HQ Sweet Sixteen

I'm hoping to purchase a sit down quilter. My experiece has been FMQ on my home sewing machine or lap or twin size quilts. Nothing complicated as it's hard to work with that much fabric and my limited throat area on my home machine. So.... which would you pick for a sit down table top quilter and why. Also, what is the advantage of the stitch regulator? Can you accomplish the same results with time and practice? Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I have looked at some but there is no support on those small tables. Have you tried one out at a show?? That is what I suggested. Buying one is just like buying a car. You have to see what features are right for you.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

I'd probably get a Sweet Sixteen and a "suspender" system (see http://www.jennoop.com/suspenders.html ), mostly because the SS has been out a long time and consistently gets really good reviews.

Of course it's possible to do well without a stitch regulator; the problem for me would be the amount of time it would take me to get that good! I figure at my age, my most valuable commodity is time. So I would get the stitch regulator just so my quilting would look good right off the bat.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

I got the Sweet 16 but test drove both models. The Lizzie seemed more clunky. I also didn't like that the power cord was on the front and imo too easy to knock off. When reading up on both machines, the customer support on the Lizzie got bad reviews. So I negotiated a good price for the Handiquilter. I ended up getting the TruStitch but probably wouldn't buy that again. The machine is easy enough to learn without.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:13 PM

I have the HQS16 and love it...I comes in a 3x3 table and then I have an old kitchen table that is the same height to my left that has my domestic on it (not inset though). Sometimes I will use my exercise balance ball to hold the right side of larger quilts. The one I am working on now is huge (108x108) and I don't have too many issues with it. But I still have to do the outside border. I do not have any "suspender" system though.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:32 PM

I have an Hq16 that I bought used in 2010. It works extremely well and has given me no trouble whatsoever. (There have been several incidents of operator (me) error, though!) I highly recommend the HQ line of quilting machines. If I replace what I have, I will probably get another HQ.

My hq16 is on a frame and runs via a computerized carriage, the pcqullter, so I don't need the Stitch regulator. However, if you will be quilting on a table, it might be useful. My understanding is that it keeps the stitch length consistent while you quilt. I have never used a stitch regulator, so others may be able to provide you more info.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:45 PM

I have a Baby Lock Tiara, which is the same machine as the HQ16 I have been told. I love the machine. I tried the TruStitch regulator and hated the sound and the feel of using it. The salesperson said that she never pushes it, because she feels anyone can stitch evenly with just a little practice. It was also $1,000, so I declined. I am not sorry.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:16 PM

I don't know if I would be able to quilt sitting down, and when I have the room and the money, I'll be getting the largest throat Bailey(http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/), they have, which I think is 20" now. They have a choice in frame or sit down. They have excellent service and great prices, a lot of times, they ofter free shipping and handling to the lower 48 states, which is why before we move to Alaska, I'll be getting my Bailey.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 PM

I love HandiQuilter! I get to use the ones at the store. The Sweet 16 stitch regulator isn't that useful. It attaches to the quilt, and guages the stitch by how the quilt moves. If your quilt is all bunched up, it doesn't give a very good reading. But the machine and table are built so solid, and they are an awesome company to deal with. They have really great customer service!
Old 03-20-2015, 03:34 AM

I tried the Tin Lizzie, the Innova and the Sweet 16 before I chose my Sweet 16. Make sure that you hand sit down and try them both before you make your decision. I took fat quarter sandwiches and stitched away on them and just loved the Sweet 16.
The Tin Lizzie had a narrower harp space and I think it would have felt harder to fit the quilt in as easily. It did not feel as smooth when I was stitching, kind of grabby and there was a vibration from the machine.
I have the stitch regulator and have played with it and it works very well but I just don't need it. The machine is so easy to use that I got very comfortable with it quickly. I had only fmq'd a çple of times before I got it.

Last edited by coffeecozy; 03-20-2015 at 03:42 AM.