Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tiny Tannenbaum from Quick Quilts >

Tiny Tannenbaum from Quick Quilts

Tiny Tannenbaum from Quick Quilts

Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
Becki, This turned out so pretty. Would you mind telling us what brand and any other information we might need to find these lights?

Thank You in Advance
Thank you!! I ordered the lights from a place called "Embroidery Garden." Here is the link: http://www.embroiderygarden.com/stor...iewCat&catId=2

I am mostly happy with them. They come in strings of 10, so I had to use two strings for my 16x16 wall hanging. There were a couple of things I didn't like about them, though--first is that they are flashing lights, and I would have preferred them to be steady on. The second is that they seem a little bit like a hack (I think they might have been assembled in someone's garage). As far as I can tell there's no brand, they just came in a little plain plastic bag. So they're not really well thought-out ... it's hard to get into the battery compartment (you have to pry it open) and it doesn't look like the batteries would be easy to change (each pack runs on four button batteries and they are held in with metal clips that aren't designed to come loose). But because they are LEDs I'm hoping that the batteries won't need to be changed that often, and when they do my husband is pretty handy with those things so I think he could probably swap them out for me without too much trouble. If you don't know anyone with those skills, though, I think these lights would be more trouble than they're worth.

I don't know if there's a better option. I actually bought a string of LEDs meant for household decorating but I didn't like the way they looked on the tree, which is why I bought these. These look really nice (they just poke through the fabric and are held on with a little rubber o-ring), but I just don't know about their longevity. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thank you everyone for all the nice comments!!

Becki
Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Banned

Yes I made that wall hanging in Oct SOON after I got the magazine.
I posted about it also.

I love your version of the pattern (the button and lights).

Sadly though the pictures I took got lost in the "crash"
of my cameras memory card I lost several pictures and
I am waiting for my MIL to send me some more pictures.

Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo View Post
Hi all! I know I saw a post here a while back about the Tiny Tannenbaum pattern that was in Quick Quilts this year. Was wondering if anyone else made this pattern? I just finished mine and wanted to share a picture.

The original pattern didn't call for actual lights but I wanted to put LEDs in mine, so with the help of some of the folks here I found some lights that are meant to be put in fabric. I hand tied the tree part of the quilt because that made it easy to avoid all the wires, and I thought it would look cute because the ties are like little tree decorations. The rest of it I hand quilted. First try at hand quilting and I think it went OK, I mean it at least passes the "six feet away on the back of a galloping horse" test, LOL!

Anyway I'm pleased with my results and would love to see what other people have done with this pattern!

Becki
Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Banned

Here is a link to the post I made. On the last page there is a picture of
the one I made minus the decorations I added to it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t163982-4.html
Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Thanks Becki for the info on where you got the lights. I will have to think about if they are worth it or not for a once a year thing.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 AM

Very cute! You've just inspired a new addition to my bucket list!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the info for the lights. I had the same idea when I saw the pattern that it needed real lights on the tree. Gotta check out your light source now and get busy! Your quilt is lovely.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:04 AM

How Cute! ;>)
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 AM

I love it!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Really cute! The lights are fun!!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 AM

Neat! I like your embellishment ideas. May borrow a few... Thanks for posting this beautiful tree.