Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A tip for those skinny borders >

A tip for those skinny borders

A tip for those skinny borders

Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by carrieg
It did turn out nice, but there were a lot of tears of frustration with this one! It was my first on-point layout. There is one row that I had to add fabric to the sashing to get it to line up. But it's so busy, you can't see it now. And the written directions were terrible! I guess that's why we have our fabric designers or patterns.

I did like the way the 4 patches were made. Kinda like a kaleidscope technique. 4 layers of the same cut, twisted any pleasing manner.

Just wanted to pass along the tip I thought was helpful!
I went back and studied your photo and couldn't find where you said you had to add onto the sashing to make it fit properly. It all looks very symmetrical to me, you've done a good job! That's one reason why I don't like making symmetrical designs. Too putsy and I feel like I'm shut in a box.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Banned

beautiful quilt!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:49 AM

It's a beauty!!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

that's a great tip. Kind of like making half square triangles a little bigger and cutting to exact size
Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 AM

gorgeous...black really stands out
Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 AM

To get a similar effect, you could use what the Ozzies called a peeper or popper. It peeps out & it makes things pop.
Cut 1", iron in half, & place it between the 2 fabrics being sewn, - as if you were putting piping in, but this is larger & flat. Looks great. We did a bright quilt with black as one of the dominant colors, then the border had a black background, but, you know it, all blacks are not the same, so I put a red peeper in to separate them, - did the trick plus looked great.
I first saw this when I was there on vacation & went to my sister in laws guild.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by harkness48
To get a similar effect, you could use what the Ozzies called a peeper or popper. It peeps out & it makes things pop.
Cut 1", iron in half, & place it between the 2 fabrics being sewn, - as if you were putting piping in, but this is larger & flat. Looks great. We did a bright quilt with black as one of the dominant colors, then the border had a black background, but, you know it, all blacks are not the same, so I put a red peeper in to separate them, - did the trick plus looked great.
I first saw this when I was there on vacation & went to my sister in laws guild.
Yes, I've done something similar by putting in two of these narrow borders in different colors to make each pop against each other and the other wider border. I like the name "peeper" too!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I took a class from Jaynette Huff and she does 1/8 borders this way. If you ever get the chance to take one of her classes do it. Her quilts have won in Paducah and Houston. She is generous and will share all her award winning secrets.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltsbybarb
I really like this quilt. Will you explain that technique in a little more detail? Maybe tomorrow it will make more sense to me.

Basically you cut large and trim down. Instead of cutting 3/4 inch black strips -1/4" plus 1/2" seam allowances - I cut 1 inch. Sewed it onto the blocks using the normal 1/4 seam allowance. Once sewed on, from the back of the block, trim off the extra 1/4" using your ruler rotary cutter.

Thanks for all the great comments! You gals are great for the ego. :-D
Got it. Thanks! Barb
Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
There is one row that I had to add fabric to the sashing to get it to line up. But it's so busy, you can't see it now. And the written directions were terrible! I guess that's why we have our fabric designers or patterns.
I went back and studied your photo and couldn't find where you said you had to add onto the sashing to make it fit properly. It all looks very symmetrical to me, you've done a good job! That's one reason why I don't like making symmetrical designs. Too putsy and I feel like I'm shut in a box.
Good! LOL

:lol: