Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Tip Worth Sharing >

A Tip Worth Sharing

A Tip Worth Sharing

Old 06-09-2023, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Default A Tip Worth Sharing

Hi everyone, I've been plugging away at a DWR using Donna Jordan's tutorial and the templates from her shop. I saw a tip from the maker of these templates to lightly spray some 409 adhesive on the backs to make cutting even easier. (They provide grips for them but I still had slippage).
So........ after doing a bazillion cuts I found that tip and tried it. Works like a charm!

About this DWR- it DOES get easier as you go along. The pattern calls for a total of 12 blocks which is 48 segments
and I'm at 37 right now so I'm near the finish!

A challenging pattern for me but totally doable, especially with Donna's fantastic instructions. She's my favorite teacher.

So in case you haven't heard of this use for the spray I thought I'd share. It was new to me and I can see where a lot of templates would be good to use it with.

I can't wait to share the finished product!
Old 06-09-2023, 04:27 PM

What is a DWR?
Old 06-09-2023, 04:31 PM
Gay

Double Wedding Ring
Old 06-10-2023, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Hi everyone, I've been plugging away at a DWR using Donna Jordan's tutorial and the templates from her shop. I saw a tip from the maker of these templates to lightly spray some 409 adhesive on the backs to make cutting even easier. (They provide grips for them but I still had slippage).
So........ after doing a bazillion cuts I found that tip and tried it. Works like a charm!

About this DWR- it DOES get easier as you go along. The pattern calls for a total of 12 blocks which is 48 segments
and I'm at 37 right now so I'm near the finish!

A challenging pattern for me but totally doable, especially with Donna's fantastic instructions. She's my favorite teacher.

So in case you haven't heard of this use for the spray I thought I'd share. It was new to me and I can see where a lot of templates would be good to use it with.

I can't wait to share the finished product!
I made a DWR with these templates and it turned out very well. Does the 409 affect the fabric in any way? I would not think so but you never know.
Old 06-10-2023, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltangelady View Post
I made a DWR with these templates and it turned out very well. Does the 409 affect the fabric in any way? I would not think so but you never know.
No, it doesn't. I forgot to post a pic of the templates.
Attached Thumbnails img_7477.jpg  
Old 06-10-2023, 05:56 AM

Odif also makes a product called Grippy, which is specifically for spraying on the back of templates. It works great!
Old 06-10-2023, 06:32 AM

I've always wanted to make a DWR. You'll have to share pix when it's done. How do you plan to quilt it?
Old 06-10-2023, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Odif also makes a product called Grippy, which is specifically for spraying on the back of templates. It works great!
Thanks, Annette. I'll look for that.

I have a DWR that my grandmother made. I've decided that will probably be the only one I have lol
Old 06-10-2023, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I've always wanted to make a DWR. You'll have to share pix when it's done. How do you plan to quilt it?
Since this quite a bit of work I think I'll send it to my longarmer. OR if I get really ambitious I may hand quilt it. But that's a bit IF haha
Old 06-10-2023, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

This is what I use too. Great stuff.