Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips For First Bargello Quilt?? >

Tips For First Bargello Quilt??

Tips For First Bargello Quilt??

Old 12-22-2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I am a fairly new quilter and have just discovered the beautiful bargello quilting designs. Have you made a bargello quilt? If so, what tips do you have? On average, how many different colors do you need--and are they best with a large difference from light to dark shades or would a range of neutrals have the same dramatic effect? Also trying to decide whether to use prints, batiks or solids?
Good Morning Jeanne, I sent you a PM, and some instructions from the bargello class which I took on making the attached bargello placemat, very similar to Dina's as posted on QB above(very beautiful Dina).[ATTACH=CONFIG]452819[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1000965-bargello-placemat.jpg  
Old 12-22-2013, 07:21 AM

Oh, d.rickman, your bargello placemat is beautiful! I really like how your "mountain" is centered more than in the pattern I used. Just beautiful.

Dina
Old 12-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Star with a simpler small one, and you will learn a lot as you go.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I am a fairly new quilter and have just discovered the beautiful bargello quilting designs. Have you made a bargello quilt? If so, what tips do you have? On average, how many different colors do you need--and are they best with a large difference from light to dark shades or would a range of neutrals have the same dramatic effect? Also trying to decide whether to use prints, batiks or solids?
Medium and large binder clips and 2" square post it notes..............These are INVALUABLE for keeping your strip sets labeled and together, without having to pin and re-pin at every turn..................
Old 12-22-2013, 12:23 PM

Donna,
THANK You very much for the detailed instructions and tip! They were clear, and I will make my first start with placemats as you suggest to get the feel of it on a smaller scale. I have a couple of baby quilts to finish then bargello for the New Year!!!
Really appreciate it,
Jeanne
Old 12-23-2013, 12:14 AM

Thank you to all who gave advice. Your tips are most welcome.
Happy quilting.
A safe & happy Christmas to all.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I made one with 24 different colors...
Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Finding the fabric has got to be fun!! I think one would learn a lot of value!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 PM

As a beginner quilter, I couldn't resist the allure of Bargello, so I dove right in. As long as you follow the directions carefully, there's no reason a beginner can't make a rather complicated Bargello.

That said, here's my best advice:

1. Cut a small piece from each fabric you're using. Number each fabric in the order it appears in your "color way," and make a paper chart of those fabric pieces and their numbers. You'll need to refer to this as you follow any Bargello pattern (even one you create yourself).

2. Choosing a color that will blend (like gray), buy a whole lot of thread!

3. Understand that what you'll be doing is cutting up a bunch of fabrics (sometimes as many as 21), sewing them back together in a different way, and then arranging them in yet another way. While the technique looks mystical on paper, it all becomes clear once you get into it.

4. Follow the directions and enjoy the result! When others are awed by your resulting quilt, don't tell them how easy it was. Let them think you are a wizard! (It'll make the rest of us look good, too!)