Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips for ironing/pressing large quilt tops and backings please >

Tips for ironing/pressing large quilt tops and backings please

Tips for ironing/pressing large quilt tops and backings please

Old 04-25-2015, 09:13 AM

I, too, made a larger ironing surface. Got a piece of 1/2 inch plywood cut to the size I wanted at Lowe's. Covered it with: first-an well used beach towel, then two layers of used mattress pad covers, then a layer of new white felt, then finally with a heavy cotton fabric. When in use, I place it on top of a thrift store dining table which is on bed risers for height. Must say-works very well.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:13 AM

I buy ironing boards at garage sales for $2-$5 each. I like having a lot to do a big pressing job. I like the older models with four legs not the T legs. They are much sturdier. For my sewing room I have the Reliable ironing board with suction.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I've done a lot of large quilts queen and king, and I press the center first then work my way out and iron in quarters.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:36 PM

>>>[COLOR=#362F2D]I just pressed mine as well as I could, dusted off the corners that had been on the floor (I swear, I just swept the floor!!!), and moved on.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
I buy ironing boards at garage sales for $2-$5 each. I like having a lot to do a big pressing job. I like the older models with four legs not the T legs. They are much sturdier. For my sewing room I have the Reliable ironing board with suction.
Oh, me, too! Liking the four legs instead of the T legs, that is. I hate those T leg boards; they wobble like mad.

For years my mother had and used a wooden ironing board, and it was sturdy as it could be (but I admit, a bit heavy) Years later I realized that board was gone from her house and asked her about it. She had thrown it out! (She used a more modern metal one). I still can hardly bear knowing that if I'd once said to her that I wanted it, she would have given it to me. But then I never dreamed she'd just decide one day to get rid of it.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
My ironing board has the "T" legs. Is that why it is so unsteady? I have asked DH to put it on boards to stop the wobble. I am afraid my fur kids will get hurt.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:22 PM

Default Love this ironing board idea!!

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Exactly what I was going to suggest. I had the hubby make me a "Big Board" ironing board. Using plywood over my regular ironing board. Let's see if I have pictures, I know he used a half sheet for mine and the other half for his sister, laid down a couple layers of batting and covered with regular fabric, if it gets ugly, I'll just add another layer. Oh and I stapled it to the bottom.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]517995[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517996[/ATTACH]
Oh boy do I like this Idea. I just showed my hubby. I am trying to iron a 112 x 96" curved log cabin back to a reversible quilt.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:12 PM

like several others I cover a table with several layers to protect the surface & then press on it. I have a dining room table that I do this on all the time. Sheet on the floor is something I need to start doing so my quilt isn't also doubling as a dust mop!
Old 01-21-2018, 05:17 AM

Thanks for all these tips. I have decided that the reason I have so many unquilted tops is because I hate prepping the backs. Maybe this will get me going.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:28 PM

Well, as usual, I take the easy way out whenever I can. I only iron piece backings, and that is usually to set the piecing seam. Big one piece backings get tossed into the washer, dried in the dryer and taken out and used "as is" for the back of a quilt. (I'll add that I have an hq16 on a frame, and I think that is the main reason this works.) Most times I do have to press the edges, but that is about it. So far, no one who has been given one of my quilts has complained. At least they haven't had the nerve to complain to me!

The quilt top is ironed as I make it, then touched up as needed. To get most (not all) of those pesky threads off, the top is put into the dryer with a damp wash cloth for a few minutes, and taken out as soon as the cycle is done. A 1/8th to 1/4 inch stitch is sewn around the perimeter of the quilt before tossing it in the dryer, just in case. If there are any persistent wrinkles in the top, the damp wash cloth helps to relax them.

Of course, there are always uncooperative tops and backs...