Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Titanium Coated Top Stitch Needles >

Titanium Coated Top Stitch Needles

Titanium Coated Top Stitch Needles

Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 PM

BEWARE I was told by a trained Bernina sewing machine repair person. She told me that she has gotten machines in her repair shop that needed massive work due to titanium needles. Sometimes when they hit a pin when FMQ the needle does not break but does throw the whole machine out of whack. Me, I prefer to just replace a needle then bring my machine in for massive repair.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Power Poster

I now use only Titanium Topstitch needles. I purchased them from Superior Threads. I love them. The eye is larger and for my old tired eyes that is great. I usually remove all my pins before I sew. Yesterday I was sewing two pieces of fleece together and left some pins in (just to see if it would go over them) carefully I sewed over the pins with no problems. I am still going to remove the pins from now on, just wanted to try it. I did use a longer stitch. I am sold on these needles. I do have to say that I use a Simplicity machine not a fancy new one. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. BrendaK
Old 02-13-2014, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Nancy View Post
Do you use them? Are they really good? I was looking at a link posted on the board and it seems to make sense.
Do use them…..They ARE better…..and work wonderfully for machine embroidery…..
Old 02-13-2014, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
BEWARE I was told by a trained Bernina sewing machine repair person. She told me that she has gotten machines in her repair shop that needed massive work due to titanium needles. Sometimes when they hit a pin when FMQ the needle does not break but does throw the whole machine out of whack. Me, I prefer to just replace a needle then bring my machine in for massive repair.
Why blame the titanium needle for the problem when the issue is caused by trying to sew over pins left in the quilt???
Old 02-13-2014, 07:11 PM

I use the titanium needles in my Babylock.....they last forever! In fact, I put a new one in this week and wrote down the date so I can keep track of how long I do actually use it. I don't really understand how one of these needles breaking could cause more damage to a machine than any other....they are only titanium coated, not made of some super-hard material.