Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Toastmasters talk about quilting >

Toastmasters talk about quilting

Toastmasters talk about quilting

Old 02-05-2018, 08:05 PM

MJP, I think your idea fits in fantastically with the overall theme. Our booms are pretty amazing - one of the best things on the internet I've come across!

On another note, did you ever post pictures of your finished quilts? I would love to see them!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 PM

I gave a similar talk to my DH's Rotary group--definitely no quilters. I had about the same time allotted. Frankly, I think you should figure that you talk 5 min and give time for questions--either in the course of the talk or at the end. I explained that quilting involves 3 layers, stitched together. And that we rarely uses cardboard templates or scissor, instead rulers and rotary cutters (bring both); that they can be hand or machine quilted (again examples) and the difference in the time factor with each(plus I had a picture of a long arm to pass around); definitely cover cost of materials and time needed to piece and quilt one. Your quote on painting a garage is perfect. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:10 AM

Two suggestions--TMI and KISS. 7 minutes isn't long when you could talk for literally hours about quilting. Find one aspect of quilting and stop there. If your intention is to educate about quilting, you might focus on the cost and time involved. You might show a vintage quilt and a modern one just to demonstrate the difference but even that can run into more time than you are being allotted. Perhaps show the differences in the tools we now use. Explain batting. There are so many individual things that have changed that it will be difficult to shorten a speech to 7 minutes. (Too much information and keep it simple "Sally")
Old 02-06-2018, 05:13 AM

Start with quilt history. Quilts used to be hand made and made from cotton flower sacks and family clothing.
Now we make them by machine and quilt by machine. The fabrics are primarily 100% cotton. Whereas, they were made from frugal sources, now high quality cotton costs $14.00 per yard...listening to them gasp. Then tell them how many yards go into a bed sized quilt. Mention the prices of quilts today. Follow the reporter's mantra...present the who, what, why, where of quilting. Have fun, I know you will.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:53 AM

What does the word "Booms" mean in this context? Thanks for your answer.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:53 AM

Ok, I’m finally going to ask. What does BOOM stand for? I’ve tried to figure it out but am not having any luck.
Barb in Cold Kansas
Old 02-06-2018, 07:32 AM

One of the most interesting assignments I had in a college writing class was to explain an item to an alien (sounds odd!). I took a firecracker and explained what it meant, not what it was. Example - the actual smell of gunpowder to me brought back smells of a full day bar-b-que, my grandmothers rose perfume, fresh apple pies. The bright lights in the sky made me think of everything this country meant to me, the sacrifices, the dreams, etc. It was a wonderful experience and well received. You might take that approach with a quilt - to some it is a collection of odd bits of fabric, but to others it is the warmth of a family hug, the mind expanding puzzle of pieces fitting accurately , the artistic blending of colors, tones and values. This type of thing would grab the attention of both quilters and non quilters. Who knows, you might even excite someone to try making one!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:52 AM

Not sure if this is possible---but I would bring in the all the charity quilting. Quilts Of Valor is amazing. There have been drives for current events like the Pulse nightclub shooting. If you want a fabulous letter from a military guy PM me.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:16 AM

Boom is short for Boomerang swap. It is a long standing block swap on the QB, many ladies have been involved in most if not all the boom swaps, others come and go as they have time or opportunity.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:31 AM

I don't know where your group is from, but I am always amazed the people who are able to make money quilting - - whether it be longarm quilting or piecing... I don't think grandmothers made money doing quilting (but maybe I am wrong)