Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too Many Gadgets?? >

Too Many Gadgets??

Too Many Gadgets??

Old 07-06-2020, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Darren, the kitchen is my husband's domain and my sewing room pales in comparison to his "stuff" LOL

I forgot to mention that I also have way too many machines. I need to get real on how many I'm actually using!!
I also have too many machines. I don’t mind though; they don’t take up a lot of room since none are in cabinets. We have the quilter - BL Crown Jewel II, a Pfaff 1475, a Pfaff 2038, a Pfaff Creative 3.0, a Singer Featherweight, an 1898? Singer 27, and a turquoise 50’s era Compac Model 15 clone. We mostly sew on the Pfaffs, and Emmaline sews on the Featherweight. I should probably get rid of some, but I guess I’m not motivated enough yet.

I just realized I have one more machine that’s not in the sewing room. It’s a Montgomery Ward 15 clone I think. It came in a treadle cabinet that I want to use to rehome the 27. So far I’m not motivated enough to do that either.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I may sell my white FW. They are going for a lot on Ebay and I like my black ones better.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:56 AM

I, too, have tons and tons of stuff. There are so many specialty rulers and tools and, my goodness, the scissors!! I’m so hesitant to get rid of rulers and tools because I’m afraid I’ll be looking for it at some point. But I also find myself just using the same ruler and marking utensil and pins over and over. It would be a good idea to sort it out I suppose.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:12 AM

I meant Quilters Select rules. Expensive but worth it!
Old 07-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

I like the Clearly Slotted Triangle thingy rulers better then Block Lock and I thought the the Block Lock was the best thing ever. LOL If I hadn't bought them to try I never would have known I liked them better. I'm keeping the Block Locks because I may find a new use for them. I have replaced all my basic rulers with Quilter's Select. I know how durable the coating is, I found the small QS ruler in my washer. Somehow it had gotten in with a load that was washed in hot water with Tide pods. The coating was not harmed at all even while being scoured by the rubbing of the load.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Geez! I have those slotted ones too!
Old 07-06-2020, 02:13 PM

First of all I must say - there is no such thing as too many gadgets. I love them for sewing and in the kitchen! It's the main reason I go to the big quilt shows to find out what is new in the world of quilting. And some don't live up to my expectations but that's okay - they go to the thrift stores and I get something else next year. WE all need our toys. And I love when someone here says they found a new item or work around. I was too sick to go to the Road to CA show this year, and the SD Quilt Show set for late Sept will more than likely be cancelled so looks like no new gadgets for me this year.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:25 PM

Quiltingcandy, I like your attitude and I'm going to change mine. When I buy a gadget that doesn't work, I'll remember there will always be another one. Right now I'm determined to use a ruler set I bought about a year ago for long arms. We'll see!
Old 07-06-2020, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

I am widdling down my stash of fabrics by making lots of donation quilts. I do need backings and solids and blenders. When the stores get stocked back up and open I will get those.

I don't have many things I don't use. I'm not ready to get rid of much. I love making quilts and decided 10 years ago that I was going to make quilts as long as I am able. Boy, have I kept my word.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:34 PM

at the start of the pandemic I decided to really deep clean my sewing room. I was working on a scrap string quilt so went through that pile (3 big bags) and pulled what I wanted and then sorted those that I could not see myself using again and gave what was left to a friend that does lots of scrappy 6" blocks--it felt so good to get rid of some stuff! And now I'm really making myself clean up every time I stop sewing, instead of just walking out and shutting the door!