Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too much money! >

Too much money!

Too much money!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 AM

what abot a fancy log cabin or trip around the world, then you can also get your monies worth, just have fun
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 AM

I'm so happy that you get to go buy fabric!! I would go to your LQS and see if they have a pattern or book with some thing you would like to do in it. Then, once you pick that, you can start on your fabrics!!! Have fun shopping!!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by wattse2000 View Post
I am used to collecting scraps from clothing to make quilts but this Christmas I was given $200 in gift certificates for quilting. I want to buy some fancy fabric and make a quilt that is all matchy-matchy. Only problem is I have so much freedom I dont know what pattern to make! Ideas?
I would go to the library and go thru every quilting book they have and find a pattern I absolutely love and buy the fabric for that quilt.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Just take your time shop around you'll know when it's the right fabric for you!!!!!!! ENJOY!!!!! Happy New Years!!!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 AM

just take your time and check out patterns on the internet or at a quilting store see what strikes your fancy!!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

You're right, sometimes too many choices can be a problem, but seek out a LQS, see what they have to offer and I'm sure they will guide you in the right direction.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:18 AM

I can totally relate to your situation. When I retired from teaching last year, I was given a $200 gift certificate to a quilt shop. Wow, was I ever amazed! Now, like you, I want to use it wisely. I've decided to use the money to buy the supplies to make the quilt for our bed. That way I will have something special to show for the gift from these special people with whom I worked for many years. If there is any left over, I will buy something for my studio.
The problem I have now is that the shop where the certificate was purchased is on the island where the person who got it lives. She did it there because she wants me to come visit her. I appreciate the sweet thought, but I have to make a whole day of the shopping because of the ferry ride both ways and the visiting time, which I will enjoy. I've been to the shop once and it has a wealth of fabric. I'm thinking I will call the shop ahead of time to be sure they have the fabric in the amounts I need. I"ve done the quilt in EQ and now how much I need of each of six fabrics, but haven't actually picked a line of fabric yet. That's a project for the new year.

I hope you have fun spending your money. As others have said, be sure to let us know what you decide.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 AM

Go to your LQS, there are some wonderful teachers and patterns. This will get your thoughts going. I know of several really wonderful shops with great teachers in your area. Have fun and create a master piece.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:19 AM

I bought a quilt magazine titled 100 quilt blocks volume 4. There is a pattern called Tumbling Blocks. You use light and dark squares. When a square is done it looks a lot like Log Cabin. I turned the squares around and did a Barn raising style but you can do this one anyway. It went a long way in helping me to get the hang of Trip Around the World.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 AM

What a lovely dilemma to have (smile). Take a good friend and go have lunch and a lovely exploring day. Enjoy this problem (laughter).