Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Took the plunge!! >

Took the plunge!!

Took the plunge!!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 AM

Default Easy seam ripping

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I tried it, and loved the ease of sewing, but it was a bear when I had to rip out a seam.. Does anyone have advise on how to use the seam ripper easier?
On one side pick every 5th or 6th stitch with the ripper . Turn over and pull the top thread and voila the seam comes out.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I tried the glue to secure my intersections and it worked great. When I need to rip for some reason, I just tugged on it and it came right loose. I guess I didn't use to much. Washed out beautifully too.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 AM

Well that good news! Thanks for letting us know.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 AM

The clear Elmers School Glue is even better!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MothrNatr View Post
Do you wait for the glue to dry before quilting? I would think that the dry glue would be stiff?? Some mentioned Elmer's School glue, others, mentioned glue sticks - are those elmer's School glue too?
I press with my iron to dry. It's "flexibly stiff" but not board-stiff.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]406826[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails glue.png  
Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Clover Wonder Clips....yes yes. I have my quilt sandwich all neat & tidy with clips all around the four sides. Here is what I did with my quilt sandwich (quilt top is 80x80).

Took pillows & bedspread off the bed. Layed my backing down (wrong side up). Got it all smooth & even on the bed after determining the center of the backing & placing a big safety pin to mark center (top & bottom)

Determined center of batting & placed 2 pins to mark center top & bottom. Lined up the center batting with the center backing. Started placing the Clover clips around. I would just fold over the excess backing to the top of the batting as I went around all sides placing the clips. Smooth down with your hands as you go around all sides to get rid of creases/wrinkles.

Find center of quilt top & place top & bottom pin to mark. Lay on top of batting & hand press all around evenly. As you walk around the bed, take out a clip & pick up the quilt top & reclip all layers. Now all three layers are secured by the clips. No raw edges hanging down because you have folded the bottom layers to the top of your quilt sides. Everything neat, smooth & secure.

I was so anxious to see how it would work...I did not spray baste my quilt as I went or used the Elmer's glue. Also, I did not know about the glue & spray until a couple of days ago.

I have put my sandwich on my hoop & started to quilt without having any basting done at all. The layers did not come undone & the clips are secure all around the quilt without even thinking of falling off. The quilt layers have not shifted when putting them on the hoop either.

I have done some quilting & now ready to move hoop to another section...dare I continue this process without doing some sort of basting?

When I plan to move the hoop to another section, I will place the hoop on the bed & gently move the hoop to another spot & smooth as I place the hoop back on. This is darn right scary, but I am willing to take the plunge.

I would never consider laying the quilt layers without those clips. They lay flat, are very secure & a pleasure to work with. Forget about the awful black office clips & get a couple of boxes of the Clovers. After clipping my quilt all around, I had 3 extra, so I immediately ordered another box. They also have a larger size clip, but I am very happy with the regular size.

I read where some quilters use the clips to hold fabric sections together, like triangles, strips, or squares, etc. to keep things organized. I see so many uses for these little lovlies...instead of grabbing a pin, think about a clip.

Anyway, I cannot say how easily these clips helped me layer everything so easily.

BUY SOME NOW!!!!

Determined the center of quilt top & layed
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I just bought a tube too. So will try it on next quilt.
TUBE???? I've only seen the Elmers Washable Glue in BOTTLES.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Maggiem View Post
I don't find the result stiff, but maybe others have differing experiences.

We don't have Elmer's school glue where I live, so I use washable glue sticks. The important, vital, absolutely essential thing is that the glue be washable, so that it washes out. If in doubt, do a sample.
I would be willing to bet that some type of generic washable glue is available anywhere they have school children. Brand name doesn't matter - I buy the Dollar Store brand myself - 2/$1.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM

Default Using glue stick

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
Glue basting is the best!!!
Does your needle gunk up at all when using the glue?? Just curious how this works
with glue.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Nope, no gunk and no need to keep track of the clips or pins. Just a nice easy way to hold things together.