Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Topic list

When you click on a Topic do you post a reply right away "OR" read all the replys then post an answer. My thing is to reply right away, smile. Just curious here.

Blog Entries
    if the topic really interests me, i read the replies. if it's a picture of a quilt and i really like it, i just hit reply and say what is in my heart. i don't want to be swayed by others' opinions on the quilt.

Blog Entries
    I read all the posting, cause often someone else has said what I would say.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rdorminy
    When you click on a Topic do you post a reply right away "OR" read all the replys then post an answer. My thing is to reply right away, smile. Just curious here.
    I read all the replies if I plan to reply to the post, ESPECIALLY if the op is asking for some information or has left the post open-ended.

Because it's pretty funny to read the "i hope someone can find the pattern name" even though it has been answered FOUR freaking times in the previous posts.

I think of a thread as an ongoing conversation. And I would never just jump into a group of people -at work, at a social event, on the street - already talking without first trying to gauge where the conversation has been and where it's going. But based on the evidence on this board, and some threads that were just hysterical in this regard , I'm clearly in the minority.

Blog Entries
    if i want to comment i make sure to read all the comments in a topic ... starting on page 1 ... no matter how long it is.

one should always make sure to get thoroughly caught up on a conversation in progress before jumping in.

to do otherwise results in constant repetition of points made, dragging up issues already settled, and creating confusion.

it's also like saying out loud that nothing anybody else has already said is worth the time it takes to read it and that only our own thoughts and words matter.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I do that also. I hate getting on a topic and everyone has replied with the same answer. JMHO

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Me too , especially if the same questions have been asked over and over

I always read everything. Like Patrice said it makes for confusion if you don't. I rarely reply to something that already has many pages.
    Sue

I usually read all the comments before I would post a reply. I agree with MTS, PatriceJ, Erstan947, BMP, and Featherweight. I would like to think that others opinions are just as important as mine.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
    I always read everything. Like Patrice said it makes for confusion if you don't. I rarely reply to something that already has many pages.
    Sue
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    I read all the replies if I plan to reply to the post, ESPECIALLY if the op is asking for some information or has left the post open-ended.

Because it's pretty funny to read the "i hope someone can find the pattern name" even though it has been answered FOUR freaking times in the previous posts.

I think of a thread as an ongoing conversation. And I would never just jump into a group of people -at work, at a social event, on the street - already talking without first trying to gauge where the conversation has been and where it's going. But based on the evidence on this board, and some threads that were just hysterical in this regard , I'm clearly in the minority.
    Just one of my pet peeves!
    :-D
    I'm here so often I read the previous posts since they are not that many usually when I check but I'm sure I'm guilty sometimes when in a hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by BMP
    Me too , especially if the same questions have been asked over and over
    Yes! It is irritating to me when people ask the same question that has already been answered - sometimes more than once! I realize that time is valuable, but . . .

Power Poster
    I do try to read what has been mentioned before answering. I am especially careful if someone has a problem or question. I figure that they are hoping for help and if I don't have something new to add, I don't reply.
    If it is just admiration, I sometimes just add my comments without reading. I figure that if someone posts a picture, 20 "I think it's beautiful" are all appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I do that also. I hate getting on a topic and everyone has replied with the same answer. JMHO
    Me too!!!!

Blog Entries
    i read several posts but not several pages, then reply.

I normally read all the posts, especially if I feel compelled to comment.
    One of my pet peeves is people who make a comment not bothering to read what comes before. (I hope that no one takes this comment the wrong way.) And, yes, I would hope that what I had to say was as important as the next one.
    I have just recently started commenting on quilts in the picture category; so, might just post at the end, without reading all the posts. But, I am here so often, too, that pages are not many when I post.

Blog Entries
    For pictures I don't read all of the way through, unless I am wanting the pattern or other information. Often it has already been asked and answered :wink:

As to the other topics, yes I read through them all, as the topic can take many twists and turns. The original question gets clarified, so if you don't read through, your answer may not even come close to what we "thought" was the question LOL

Yes, it can be time consuming to read through 2-20 pages... but I have also learned a lot too :D:D:D

Thanks to all for the interesting reasons for reading through all of the replys. I never thought it through and now that you've "awakened" my brain I see that I really should read replys BEFORE making my reply. I've been laughing at myself all afternoon, DUH..... Thanks ever so much.

I am so guilty of just jumping right in and later reading and finding that I said what had already been said. Now, I see that it is not only impolite but also boring - and hopefully I will change my ways.

Derla

Blog Entries
    I read all of the replies. If my thoughts have already been expressed I pass on making a comment. No only are my words redundant,but I don't want all of the comments sent to my mailbox. Sometimes I have so many replies I can't find my own e-mail messages among the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by MTS

Amen to this! No I don't think you're in the minority at all but I know it sometimes feels this way because I read through them also and it is simply amazing/hysterical and some adjectives that are not printable for this board.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    if i want to comment i make sure to read all the comments in a topic ... starting on page 1 ... no matter how long it is.

one should always make sure to get thoroughly caught up on a conversation in progress before jumping in.

to do otherwise results in constant repetition of points made, dragging up issues already settled, and creating confusion.

it's also like saying out loud that nothing anybody else has already said is worth the time it takes to read it and that only our own thoughts and words matter.

Ditto to this also.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ

Here! Here! Well put and amen.

I read through all the posts (except for the repetitive ones!!!LOL) as I know so little I couldn't jump in and try to sound smart with an answer. :D :D
    The only time I just jump in with a post is if someone has posted a quilt for comments 'see what I did' and then I think the more the merrier - these posts are to share our pride, right?!!!

So, quilters, HINT HINT I hope the next time I post a quilt pictures I will get more than one "pretty" :D :-D :-D

PS I am thinking of changing my name to SueSewSoSlow so don't hold your breath looking for a pic! :-)

Blog Entries
    If I want to compliment or comment I immediately reply. I don't want to be swayed by others and feel the post deserves the unbiased response. If I'm looking for answers I wil read the post to see if someone else has already asked the question. But I am also guilty of not reading all posts when there's a gazillion pages. :D Sorry I forgot to add another thing I look for when needing a question answered from the originator. If I see my question has already been asked; if so, then I scroll through only looking for the orginator's response. I know some people will answer for the orginator and I do appreciate that and sometimes I can do a quick scan and find those answers as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast